Bend in black roof panels

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa
I was looking around over the bed for a good place to mount some LED tape for reading lights and noticed the black panels at the front of the camper are bent about 10-20 degrees right at the top piano hinge. The bottom is straight at the hinge as are the top and bottom at the back of the camper.

I didn't see any cracks in the material but it looks like there could be a fatigue problem there. My camper is not yet a year old.

Has anyone else noticed similar bending?

I have a 100w solar panel and Yakima racks with a fly rod holder on the racks. I can lift the roof by hand easily with 40# struts.

I keep a sleeping bag on the bed but no pillows.

The bend is to the inside on top, the opposite of the way it would bend if it was because of something on the bed.

Looked at mine and they are straight. I keep the bed made no pillows and have a thermal pack that also adds bulk.

Can you take a picture of the bend?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443109403.153831.jpg

A little hard to see but the bend is right at the end of the line of rivets.

I have no idea how long they've been that way, maybe always. I just noticed the other day when I was looking for places to mount some LED strips. I will definitely keep watching for cracks now, though.

Stalking Light said:
I have no idea how long they've been that way, maybe always. I just noticed the other day when I was looking for places to mount some LED strips. I will definitely keep watching for cracks now, though.
I would talk to Stan - they changed to those panels only a few years ago and hopefully they are still under warranty.

I would shine a flashlight on the ends of all your lift panels and see if the bend area has a different appearance. A manufacturing defect in the lift panel material my be visible on the ends. One ingredient stiffens the panel and another holds it to together and so variations in composition may differ in appearance.

It's hard to get in there and see on my Eagle since the camper is narrow, but when I looked at the ends earlier I didn't see any differences. I'm hoping the FWC guys can take a look when I'm at Expo since it wouldn't do me much good personally to understand the cause. I worked in fiberglass years ago and don't see any obvious signs of a bad mixture of the bonding material and it all looks to be cured the same. If anything, the hinge itself seems a liitle bent.

The roof seems to raise and lower OK but I'm naturally concerned if the panel is weakened by the bend.

How hard was it to pull the top down and latch it? Has it gotten easier or worse? If I were to guess I would say the bedding was too thick.

Latches easily and hasn't changed at all, and the bedding is just a mid weight North Face sleeping bag. If the bedding was too thick it would bend the other way, I think and not just crease at the hinge. I think the hinge may be binding not allowing the panels to fold completely.

I had the struts replaced at the factory this summer, 30 to 40#, and they didn't say anything about the bedding which is the same as now. Even with the new struts I don't have to pull the roof down.

StalkingLight

Please come by our booth when you get to the Overland Expo if you would. :)

We would live to take a look at it and get some eyes on it..

Tom, Terry, & myself are leaving tomorrow, setting up on Wed. & Thurs., & working the show Friday - Sunday.

We might have camping spots in our booth if you want to join us and camp there ? Or you can always camping the general camping area (if you were planning in camping anyway ??).

Make sure to come by our booth in the early AM around 7:30am, and at night. We will be cooking hot breakfast each morning, hot coffee will be ready each AM, and we will cook dinner at night with cocktails too. No change for FWC customers and owners. :)

Thanks !

Stalking Light said:
I'm going to visit with Adventure Trailers (my dealer) and FWC at Expo East next week and see what they think.

Thanks Stan, I'm coming up Saturday and will be there Sunday morning and will be sure to stop by. I'll be camping at an NF campground near Asheville but if I get there early enough Saturday I may change plans and stop by then too.

Thanks again.

Are you lifting the roof by pushing up on the board that is mounted to the ceiling? Or are you pushing on the handle that is attached to the lift panels? (watch this video, at 1:20, and see how NOT to lift the roof!) That handle should only be used to lock the panels in place after the roof is raised.
I have seen the panels snap right at the hinge where yours is bending, because someone was lifting a heavy roof by pushing on the panels rather than pushing on the push boards attached to the ceiling!

I am lifting by the board attached to the ceiling and using the handle to lock the panels in place. Not sure I could lift the roof with the handle and have never been tempted to try. ;)

Ever get an answer to this? Looking to replace my wood ones on 2000 Granby with composite as rivets are starting to pull out on ends of plates.. ATC has told me this is most likely due to liner being put on too tight. Betting this Is an installation issue also..

Back
Top Bottom