Bending in lift panel hinge

super doody

I just got back from an awesome week of camping along the Nor Cal and Oregon coast. While at gold bluffs beach I noticed bends in my lift panel hinge on my rear panel and also on a little on my front panel. Its very much like Stalking Light's lift panels: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11187-bend-in-black-roof-panels/

I carried couple of surfboard and recently installed 40 lb struts in front ( didn't get a chance in stall my solar panel yet) and 30 lbs struts in the rear.

Front panel. I know this looks rather minor but this camper is less than a year. I can see with continued use the lift panel will crack right at below the hinge is attached :
img_148255_0_c3634c7b69faf18a9302fe428974d671.jpg

I think part of the issue is that the lift panel is thinner on top hinge than the bottom hinge. My is bending right where the hinge ends:
img_148255_2_deccddd6ae375f064732610e31bad4ba.jpg
[/URL]

Bottom hinge. You can see the lift panel is same thickness through out. There is no L shaped cut out to attach the hinge:

img_148255_4_cdb8200c822e9149705f6808dc49dc92.jpg

Anyone else experience this? I'll give FWC a call tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jim

That, in hindsight, looks to be substandard when strength and longevity is concerned.
I will be looking at mine soon.
Hopefully, FWC will make things right if there is a systemic problem.

Question:

What the consequences of these bends seen at the top of the front panels? Cosmetic or structural failure?

Wallowa said:
Question:

What the consequences of these bends seen at the top of the front panels? Cosmetic or structural failure?
In my opinion, its definitely structural. Kind of like bending a paper clip back and forth. Awaiting response from FWC.

Stalking Light said:
FWC told me mine was the second they'd seen but they did replace it, maybe since I identified it within a year of purchase. Hopefully they will get yours fixed as well.

Was the replacement panel any different in structure from the old one taken out?

Well, that obviously begs the question as to why it bent and what is to prevent the replacement panel from bending.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil

Stalking Light said:
FWC told me mine was the second they'd seen but they did replace it, maybe since I identified it within a year of purchase. Hopefully they will get yours fixed as well.
Thanks. Did you take yours to the Woodland to get it replaced? Did yours bend in the front and rear panels?

Seems as though, if these new panels keep getting replaced by FWC, a structural failure and related injury(s) could spell big trouble down the road.

My gut feeling tells me that immediate structural support should be implemented.

Not sure 2 lift panel issues is cause for alarm. If it becomes an issue FWC has always taken care of things. "Don't sweat the small stuff". Go camping and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I believe it is mostly user error, get the roof all the way up before you start pushing on the panel. Just a thought. Ron

nikonron said:
I believe it is mostly user error, get the roof all the way up before you start pushing on the panel. Just a thought. Ron
Ron. I know how to raise the top. This is my second FWC camper. I've read JBahr's recommendation from Stalking Light's post. I push the lift panel straight up. If you look photos of the L shape cut out, and how the hinge is attached, you can see how it can potentially bend.

I do believe my hinge was binding has well.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse but I still wonder what exactly caused the bend in the panel. Binding hinge? Poor design of material leading to a weak/thin area?

Look if the replacement panel installed by FWC is the same as the old one is it not reasonable to expect the panel to bend again?

Either we figure out the cause and eliminate that cause or it will be repeated with another bent panel...that would indeed be beating a dead horse.. :cautious:

Phil

I could hear my old panel creaking and crackling when I raised and lowered it so I think the hinge was binding, probably due to an install issue. The new one doesn't make noise so I'm satisfied that the problem was solved.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

super doody said:
Ron. I know how to raise the top. This is my second FWC camper. I've read JBahr's recommendation from Stalking Light's post. I push the lift panel straight up. If you look photos of the L shape cut out, and how the hinge is attached, you can see how it can potentially bend.

I do believe my hinge was binding has well.
Like I said just a thought. Thinking that some may be pushing on the panel itself on putting too much stress on the hinge. Only other possibility I too can think of is bad hinge, as in not properly mounted to the panel. Ron

Back
Top Bottom