Best RV/marine deep cycle battery

many RV/Marine batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. flooded 6 volt golf cart batteries are probably the best economical way to go if you camp without electric hookups. Trojan T-105, 225 aHr, and the Deka equivalent are batteries I've had good luck with in my motorhome, they are reasonable and easy to find. Rolls Surette are probably top of the line but expensive.

You will need pairs of 6 volt batteries connected in series to make 12 volts.

Orayr said:
What is your opinion on the best battery for fifth wheels Interstate ,NAPA, Die hard??

Thanks
A lot of what constitutes best might be defined by how you use your fiver. If you’re not dry camping a lot, you might be better off going to Costco every 3-4 years, and buying new Marine/RV deep cycle lead acid batteries for well under $200. Keeping them topped off and well maintained extends that life. If you need serious performance, Larry’s post above is where I would start.

Larryqp is correct. Marine batteries are usually a hybrid of starting and deep cycle batteries, with lead sponge plates that are coarser and heavier than starting battery plates but not as thick as true deep cycle battery plates.

True deep cycle = thick battery plates at least 0.08" thick and preferably at least 0.1" thick.

I use two 6v, 220 AH Lifeline AGM true deep cycle batteries having positive plate thickness of .095” to .105” High quality.

Don't know if it's the best but I use a deepcycle 100ah Vmaxtanks. I don't have solar and have used it for up to 4 days in 90 something temps. and still had 30% charge left. I only run a Truckfridge, Fantastic fan and in cold temps a Propex furnace. Proper maintenance when not in use will extend performance and longevity.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/Campers-and-Rvs_c_37.html

I use a Universal Power UB121000 12V AGM 100 Ah sealed lead acid battery in my trailer to power a winch. It is two years old and still seems to work well. It cost about $179.

They refer to these as deep cycle but I am not sure if they really are as I cannot find the plate thickness info. Weight is given as 64 pounds which is close to what I would expect for a true deep cycle battery of 100Ah capacity. By comparison the vmax weight is given as 65 pounds.

specs:
http://files.upgi.com:8086/UPGFileService.svc/GetSpecSheet/45978

Buy
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Power-Group-Battery-UB121000/dp/B00BSEPR0U/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=universal+power+group+31&qid=1581793859&s=automotive&sr=1-7

Oyarr,welcome to the cult.
I have had a Vmaxtanks 100ah 4th year having great service.
Solar on the camper so the battery both camper and truck
are maintained full charge,through the solar system.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Oyarr,welcome to the cult.
I have had a Vmaxtanks 100ah 4th year having great service.
Solar on the camper so the battery both camper and truck
are maintained full charge,through the solar system.
Frank
I’ve been using vmax for 3+ yrs without a hiccup as well but just like any battery they are great until their not! I used a die hard marine and got nearly 6 years out of that one!

hebegebe said:
I’ve been using vmax for 3+ yrs without a hiccup as well but just like any battery they are great until their not! I used a die hard marine and got nearly 6 years out of that one!
Actually I have the original battery from the Bobcat still in good order and use it for a backup for starting my 65 Mustang convert.
Which has a 25 year old battery in it and "it" still works.
Frank

"Best" is nice but at what cost. The Battle Born 100 amp is $949 The Amazon AGM 100 amp is $180. Need two of the AGM to get 100 usable amps so $360 total. So $589 to go to LiFePO. Yes I know they will weigh 90 pounds more. And there are other advantages to Lithium. You also need to have a lithium charger more money.

My 2013 Hawk still has the original AGM batteries and still working. I feel them being on solar all the time helps the life. I can't justify the added cost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.37.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.37.37 PM.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.38.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.38.08 PM.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 70

Back
Top Bottom