Best solution to reduce body roll

As someone who has been tinkering with and modifying the same truck/4wheel camper combination for over 20 years I figure maybe I should share my experience trying to solve the same problems.

Those E rated tires are a great first step, just be aware that tire pressure makes a big difference, so don’t stop experimenting, as there are lots of variables (what is perfect for others is probably not ideal for you)

Super Springs look to be a very good system for our type usage. I was not able to get them to work on my 30 year old truck due to application issues, but they looked like a very good quality and well designed product. The company engineers were also very helpful trying to get them to work for me. While I was disappointed not to be able to use them, I would recommend looking into an application for your truck.

The Helwig sway bars are a great product, BUT be aware that if your driving involves a lot of off roading at the limits of your articulation they WILL tear themselves apart (ask me how I know). I was very happy with the performance on pavement or graded dirt, but not when the going got rough. To their credit, they always stood behind the warranty, but after two times I gave up.

The above also applies to air bags, which is why I don’t use them. Consider the intended use of the truck when deciding on upgrades.

As others have stated, while good shocks won’t increase load capacity, they will make a big difference in handling. I wish my old truck had the same huge variety of shock options that yours does. Do lots of research with your specific usage in mind (and don’t cheap out) and you’ll be very happy. Also, don’t hesitate to reach out to various companies tech departments as they can be very helpful.

Just my personal options based on my experience, hope it helps,
Tom

As someone who has been tinkering with and modifying the same truck/4wheel camper combination for over 20 years I figure maybe I should share my experience trying to solve the same problems.

Those E rated tires are a great first step, just be aware that tire pressure makes a big difference, so don’t stop experimenting, as there are lots of variables (what is perfect for others is probably not ideal for you)

Super Springs look to be a very good system for our type usage. I was not able to get them to work on my 30 year old truck due to application issues, but they looked like a very good quality and well designed product. The company engineers were also very helpful trying to get them to work for me. While I was disappointed not to be able to use them, I would recommend looking into an application for your truck.

The Helwig sway bars are a great product, BUT be aware that if your driving involves a lot of off roading at the limits of your articulation they WILL tear themselves apart (ask me how I know). I was very happy with the performance on pavement or graded dirt, but not when the going got rough. To their credit, they always stood behind the warranty, but after two times I gave up.

The above also applies to air bags, which is why I don’t use them. Consider the intended use of the truck when deciding on upgrades.

As others have stated, while good shocks won’t increase load capacity, they will make a big difference in handling. I wish my old truck had the same huge variety of shock options that yours does. Do lots of research with your specific usage in mind (and don’t cheap out) and you’ll be very happy. Also, don’t hesitate to reach out to various companies tech departments as they can be very helpful.

Just my personal options based on my experience, hope it helps,
Tom
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the response with all of your experience, greatly appreciated!

I haven’t thought much about tinkering with the tire pressure, I like the way the feel overall. But there’s no reason not to mess with it a little, to your point.

I completely forgot about the Super Springs as I started to chase down other solutions. I need to give those a look.

After a lot of discussion and research, I decided the Hellwig sway bar was a great solution for me. I don’t go in search of super rugged off road that tests the limits of my articulation. It’s more about being able to handle things that come my way as I’m traveling and searching for camp sites. I spoke to my local shop that is ordering the parts and doing the work, they spoke to Hellwig and everyone agrees this will give me what I’m looking for. And I figure, if after a while I find it’s not a good fit, I can pull it off and sell it to someone else for a good deal.

I’m not sold on the airbags at all lol. I’m not sure they will stay on the truck long term. When I got the camper, they convinced me they were the right way to go. This is all new to me, and I’m enjoying the process of learning and dialing things in to my preference.

I also ordered an Eibach suspension kit, new coilovers and rear piggy back shocks. I’m pretty excited about this setup, it wasn’t terribly expensive compared to other options, and Eibach makes high quality stuff. I feel pretty confident this will get me the ride quality I’m looking for. Surprisingly, it was not that easy to find a suspension kit that was long enough for the Tremor. Bilstein and Eibach were two of the best options with a kit specifically made for the Tremor. Companies like Fox would have required more of a custom kit to get to appropriate lengths.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, going to look into those super springs!

When I had my Hawk on a F-150, it had a rear sway bar, I also installed Bilstein 5100 shocks along with Firestone air bags. This worked well for the F-150. I now have a F-250 SB with Bilstein 5100 shocks. I have air bags on my Super Duty to level vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom