Best Type of Heater?

jjmark4

I have a FWC Finch Shell and am looking for the right heater to install for winter camping. Currently I have a Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic heater that runs off of propane. Yet it creates way too much condensation and totally soaks my camper. I am looking for a heater that works the best and creates the least amount of condensation. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The only way to avoid adding moisture from a heater is if the heater's combustion products are vented to the outside.
For example, the forced-air furnaces that (sometimes) come installed in a camper/other-RV pull in air from the outside and exhaust to the outside. Heat is added to the camper by blowing air over a heat exchanger.

The chemical reaction that's called "burning" is more-or-less the same for all heaters, and water is a product of whatever you're burning -- any hydrocarbon or carbohydrate. I guess if you could burn pure carbon then there wouldn't be any water produced.

Either one of these works pretty darn good.

Five foot two, eyes of blue, 35-26-32, preference for getting busy, your choice for everything else (choose wisely).

Or, get a propane furnace, find one with the lowest amperage draw on your battery (if that's important to you),build it in to a cabinet. All moisture from the combustion process goes outside, nice dry warm air stays inside. Can't be beat!

the best heater imo is the newer model atwood if you can find one, they run quiet, use less power and vent outside.

I installed a Propex heater in our Ocelot. Much smaller than other furnaces, outside venting, don't know how it compares to others for noise, but for us, it is not bothersome. Got ours from Karl at: http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html
It sips propane and is easy on the battery.

I'll second the Propex recommendation. I also installed one that I bought from Westy Ventures and am very happy with it. My experience with propane furnaces is very limited, but the Propex is quieter than the one furnace I had the misfortune to be camped next to.

Basin Deranged said:
I'll second the Propex recommendation. I also installed one that I bought from Westy Ventures and am very happy with it. My experience with propane furnaces is very limited, but the Propex is quieter than the one furnace I had the misfortune to be camped next to.
After looking at the liink, it seems a little pricey after you add the [required] options?

Ordering a camper I'd get the one FWC (or ATC) puts in but if I were doing custom work or adding a heater to a camper that never had one I'd look seriously at the propex. Pricey but very customizable.

P.S. Getting ready to go play in the snow. Sure hope my heater works.

Yep - the Propex is more dollars. But the smaller size was what we were looking for - plus the overall reliability seemed higher. in addition, since we built most of the inside ourselves, we spent quite a bit less than what ATC or FWC charges. So the bit extra for the Propex was not a problem.

Are you sure you are venting enough? I have an older Olympian that is the equivalent of a Wave 6 and don't have a major condensation problem. I've used it in 2 campers both with and without an Articpack with 2 adults and a large dog onboard. We get condensation under our foam mattress with or without the heater on. Otherwise we don't see any on the tent or roof when using the heater. Venting is critical in cold weather. I hope you find a good solution for your camping style.

I have wave heaters in my toy hauler with tent end as well as my grandby and I haven't ever had issues with condensation in my rigs. But I make sure I leave a lower window open a bit as well as a roof vent and get a little cross flow going.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I was quite surprised on my last snow trip that running the wave all night with me and the dog I got very little condensation. But, I follow the venting recommendations and then some.

The only question that I have about the Proplex heater: Does it put out enough BTUs? The heater in my Phoenix camper puts out 16,000 BTUs and draws quite a bit of 12v power, but it does keep the camper warm even in very cold temps.

Since no one has mentioned it, let me throw this bad boy into the ring:

Its an alcohol heater, popular with boaters. Why? Because propane can always go boom, and going boom on a boat is a bad, bad thing. It also doesn't put water into the air like burning propane does, and will work at very low temps, which propane does not. It negates the need for a propane tank and even a stove, cause you can cook with an Orgio too. Sure, you only have a single burner, but you can buy or make a small trangia or fancy feast cat can alcohol stove and use that as your second burner. Then you have a stove for backpacking too.

Disadvantages: These are pricey, and you need to find denatured alcohol which is not quite as cheap as propane. Most hardware stores carry it, and you can buy it in bulk (five gallons) from Sears or Home Depot. One person I know, a boater with a severe aversion to propane and also has a FWC has a five gallon jerry can filled with alcohol on the back of his camper. That lasts him months to a year of fairly heavy use he reports. Freezing point of denatured alcohol is -173 degrees farenheit, colder than the coldest temperature ever recorded on planet earth, so no worries there.

Here is a guy in Alaska who has an older model of heat pal he found on ebay, and I would kill, ie, commit murder, ie take a life just to get his two burner alcohol camping stove. They are both 60's vintage, and have fierce intergrity.

Make your own container for a new 2 burner Origo campstove from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-2-Burner-Alcohol-Fueled-Free-Standing-Camping/dp/B002BVYK16

Interesting that it is now sold by Dometic.

I bought one these for use on a boat. Puts out 5000 BTU heat.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/origo--heat-pal-5100-alcohol-heater--171306
Problem with propane on a boat is that any escaping propane just sits in the boat hull because it's heavier than air just waiting for a spark to ruin your day.

Paul

ps. NOT true that it puts out no moisture. Alcohol is a hydrocarbon so you get CO2, H2O and the possibility of CO

I have the origo canister that goes in the heat pal. I used it for many years inside a metal 5 gal. paint bucket with holes to melt snow for my sled team. Worked great in extreme cold weather. I did get alcohol fumes when I used it inside the tipi, maybe because it was so cold outside. PaulT, any problems with fumes on your boat in more reasonable temperatures? I was just using run of the mill home depot denatured ethanol. Seems there is low odor stuff available.

Didn't notice any fumes but have used it only in open air with some some wind. Temps were our typical winter 30s-40s.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom