Better table placement

Love it.

My only real beef with my camper is the interior table and what I feel, is it's lack of size, stability and usability (is that a word?)

I think that table set up is great. In fact I am completeley bummed out now because I am in the middle of building the inside of my shell and I wish I had seen these pictures sooner. Those materials and appliances are top notch, it's what I would expect to see in a truck camper that costs $10,000

Stan take note!

It is funny that Chris Rasthofer’s custom Eagle raised so much interest. I thought it was a great design and email Chris with some questions.

Q: table bracket? A: made it my self

Q: appliances? A: Germany

Q honeycomb material? A: it is used in the Americas cup sailboats and is available at Paxton $300 a sheet

I always thought that a table like what comes in the VW Westfalia campers would work well with a corner bracket the table would pivot and be very stable.

Attachments

• table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,026
  • table3.jpg
    table3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,008
  • leg_bracket.jpg
    leg_bracket.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,024
table

The wall mount table looks neat but is not as usable as the one we currently offer. I have played cards on the table, eaten on it and done work on it. I never had a problem with it. I can move it out of the way when I need to and leave what I have on it. I can also take it outside to use it for putting my crackers and cheese on while I am reading.

I have really not seen a down side to the table that we currently have. If you have the old table with the base mounted to the floor, then I can see a problem. That was the first major complaint I had when I took over FWC and in turn I came up with the portable base for the table.

Sorry guys, I like the table and use it quite a bit. Any other thoughts are welcome though.

The wall mount table looks neat but is not as usable as the one we currently offer. I have played cards on the table, eaten on it and done work on it. I never had a problem with it. I can move it out of the way when I need to and leave what I have on it. I can also take it outside to use it for putting my crackers and cheese on while I am reading.

I have really not seen a down side to the table that we currently have. If you have the old table with the base mounted to the floor, then I can see a problem. That was the first major complaint I had when I took over FWC and in turn I came up with the portable base for the table.

Sorry guys, I like the table and use it quite a bit. Any other thoughts are welcome though.

Do you have a pic? Is it the kind that just sits on the floor? If so, I didn't like mine at all and it ended up living in the garage.

Table,

I don't have a pic on hand of just the table. The base is mounted on a piece of wood that is 16" x 16" if I remember right. You can move it anywhere in the camper or outsde.

Here is a pic of it set up outside in the snow.

Attachments

• snow dodge up lre4.JPG
    snow dodge up lre4.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 942
For us and our needs we found the table base in the way and no good place to put it. I took the base off the wood and screwed it to the floor. It really made it a solid unit and less spills. For us we just don't take or need a table outside. Different people, different needs..........

I have a picture of my Ranger and my friends departed Eagle showing the table stored. I took thick one sided adhesive foam and put down three small strips. The back side of the table I put Velcro (smooth side) and the other peice on the cabinet. The table rides there and has not seemed to be in the way for the past six years.

Attachments

• BackDoorViewPopDown.jpg
    BackDoorViewPopDown.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 954
  • Table-sensors1.jpg
    Table-sensors1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 952
table base

Thats kind of funny. That is just about the exact spot that the base used to be mounted in the older campers. The table was actually stored between the end of the couch and the closet on those models. Just slipped in between them. Had a lot of customers complain about stubbing their toes on the table base and in turn that is why we made it portable.

Your right though, different solutions for different styles of camping.

Yes Ben, Coming from a older Fleet model I got used to the base being mounted and that slot for the table next to the cabinet. We moved around the table on just the base until we found the right spot for us, then screwed it down. Never really notice the base being there and stubbing our toes.

The picture shows the split pads I paid extra from you Ben. That was the best money spent! Thanks for doing that for us.

We have found the same thing here.

Most customers really like the portable table VS. having it fixed in one spot.

Each customer is going to have different needs though.

On the custom built camper you linked to on the first post of this thred, the guy had built seats accross from one another, so that fold down table along the front wall of the camper probably works great. If you were by yourself alot, that would work great too. I know other customers that have done this.

Here are some more pics of the current 3 piece portable table.

Happy Camping !

Attachments

• Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 657
  • Table 12.JPG
    Table 12.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 669
  • Table Base & Leg.jpg
    Table Base & Leg.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 648
  • Table Base.jpg
    Table Base.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 657
Only used mine one time when it was windy and freezing outside and we played cards inside. Other than that I've never needed it. Other than real short trips, I usually bring one or two tables to set up outside.

thats pretty cool, not into the extra piece on the floor but do like the idea of not slamming my knees on the mount on the floor all the time....hmmm. we use the tabel a good deal and have never had any problems...in fact it stores away so nice that i sometimes forget its an option:) !

I've got to add my cent and half on the table issue. The first thing I did to the camper after our first trip was to resize the table top and base in an effort to make it more usable in our Eagle. I cut the length of the table down by 4" and reshaped the base so you could spin the table inside without lifting and tilting it. I also lowered it by about a 1/2" so the drawer would open with table in place. This setup worked relatively well, but still is not all that stable. The last few trips the table has stayed home. I'm also looking for some good alternative (fold up, wall mount, etc.)

table

Tomas,

If it is a Ranger and not a Ranger 11, the table should slide between the end of the couch and the closet with the base facing out. That is the standard storage spot for it. If it is a Ranger 11, then the table slid between the end of the couch and the back wall.

base and pole

The base should fit any where under the seat and the pole used to be mounted with two spring clamps under the lower storage under the cabinet.

glad those pics helped tomas, really a slick place to store it. ben, when did 4wc stop permenently mounting the table base on the floor and why? just curious. cheers

table

Erod,

I quit mounting the base on the floor due to the amount of complaints that I received from customers stubbing their toes on the base and the table being in the way. I believe it was in 95 that I changed it over to the portable base.

Back
Top Bottom