Big-Snow year in Sierras?

ah, news on the snowload, two of our local businesses have just closed due to roof damage from the weight.

I so miss cali but from what I have been hearing the areas that I love the most are under a heck of a lot of snow lol. Enjoy it, You never really realize what your missing until your STUCK in Florida and NOT on vacation.

Cabin, March 25, 11.JPG

After I emailed a former neighbor of mine about his cabin near Soda Springs, CA, he sent the above photo and this message:

Hi Doug and Randall,

Are you kidding?
Do you think I would go up there when desperate carpenters and cafeteria managers are scavenging firewood off other people’s houses? No way.
But our roommate, Peter, snapped this photo last week. (Note the spiffy snow tunnel entrance down at the parking area.) Actually, I would estimate we need about four more big storms to pull ahead of 82-83. Heck, the power hasn’t even gone out for a full day yet.

Cheers, John

The windows you see are on the third storey of John's cabin.

My old skiing buddy, Guillermo, took these photos on March 28, in Soda Springs, CA, my old hometown. It looks a lot like the old days!

Click to enlarge

sl01.JPG

sl02.JPG

sl03.JPG

sl04.JPG

sl05.JPG

sl06.JPG

My old skiing buddy, Guillermo, took these photos on March 28, in Soda Springs, CA, my old hometown. It looks a lot like the old days!

Dang that's a lotta snow!

Guillermo's 4th photo cracked me up. Not sure I have ever seen wires disappear into a snow bank before. :LOL:

We plan to try a little snow shoeing this weekend. Maybe stay at Davis Creek CG. Jerry, the ranger there, has a FWC Hawk, so you know he is a first rate person!

Dang that's a lotta snow!

When I was in Barrow, AK Dec 21st of 1983, I showed some photos like these to an Eskimo and he said the same thing!

When I was in Barrow, AK Dec 21st of 1983, I showed some photos like these to an Eskimo and he said the same thing!

Well, I have built an igloo before...so that's probably the Eskimo connection.

So, winter solstice in Barrow, Alaska: Not much of a sunrise/set, I expect...
wink.gif

Guillermo's 4th photo cracked me up. Not sure I have ever seen wires disappear into a snow bank before. :LOL:

We plan to try a little snow shoeing this weekend. Maybe stay at Davis Creek CG. Jerry, the ranger there, has a FWC Hawk, so you know he is a first rate person!

Ted, Guillermo also said that the snow banks seemed to be pushing the power poles around to strange angles.

Do you mean the Davis Creek CG on the East Side near Washoe, NV? I haven't been there in a long while.

Well, I have built an igloo before...so that's probably the Eskimo connection.

So, winter solstice in Barrow, Alaska: Not much of a sunrise/set, I expect...
wink.gif

Maybe you just share with the Eskimo their "sense of snow."

Ya, Mark, the sky just showed a little color to the south but never came close to rising. I did walk from town out to Point Barrow, the northern most point in the US, and took hike on the Arctic Ocean while I was at it.

They say in Barrow the engines on heavy equipment are started in the fall and not turned off again till spring . . .

Do you mean the Davis Creek CG on the East Side near Washoe, NV? I haven't been there in a long while.

That is the one. We stayed there a few weeks ago. Talking with the wife this morning, we are now leaning more towards ataying at Washoe Lake CG but going over to Davis Creek Saturday to snowshoe. We always enjoy being serenaded by coyotes at Washoe but didn't hear any at Davis Creek. Should I pack some Guinness just in case anybody else shows up? ;)

That is the one. We stayed there a few weeks ago. Talking with the wife this morning, we are now leaning more towards ataying at Washoe Lake CG but going over to Davis Creek Saturday to snowshoe. We always enjoy being serenaded by coyotes at Washoe but didn't hear any at Davis Creek. Should I pack some Guinness just in case anybody else shows up? ;)

My friend Ted, I would love to drop by Washoe Lake for a Guinness, but the truck's in the shop . . .

Wow, just saw where those rotary plows are steam powered. I suppose they'd upgrade if they had to use them more than once every fifteen years.

I'd love to join you, only used my snowshoes once so far, but my company is not making things easy on me. Working saturdays at the moment :( Sure hope that doesn't continue long.

Back
Top Bottom