Big Sur condor nest

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Here's the link to the nest cam.

This years chic is starting to "pip"
and should hatch real soon.
Interesting viewing.
You can see back in video time by using the red bad at the bottom.
Enjoy.
Frank

http://ventanaws.org/condor_cam.html
The nest site is great. The birds are ugly but, I’m happy they are reproducing and not extinct.
Thanks for sharing.

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to tour a condor restoration facility. This fellow was the only bird we could look closely at because all the others were shielded from viewing humans. The people running the facility did not want the condors to get used to humans. Which makes sense.

9764020733_b0228694c3_c.jpg

Attachments

• 9763720585_734778625f_c.jpg
    9763720585_734778625f_c.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 52
Nice pictures.
The restoration groups have done a great job of restoring them.

About 13 years we were on a drive down the coast Hwy.
At mile marker 42 south of Big Sur we pulled off the road at a wide spot overlooking
the ocean.There were about 7 condors just sitting in trees and along the road.One was even next to the guardrail
where we had parked.I could almost reach out and touch it, I didn't .
They can be very interested in people.Had been back to that spot several times and some were flying around checking us out.

Very interesting bird.We also got to see the first condor in 100 years nest at the Pinnacles NM in Easter time 2009.
The nest was in view from the top of the High Peaks trail.They also flew close to us there.
Great to see the success in the breading program and the reintroduction around the west.
Frank

Wow -- condors along the highway! That is a rare sight! It was touch and go for a long time with these magnificent creatures. They may not be out of danger yet, but the prospects look good.

Hiked Angel's Landing in Zion NP a few years ago and had a chance to see Condor #69 up close, as he/she perched a short distance from the chain/trail for a bit. BIG birds!

Back
Top Bottom