Bike Rack Ideas?

bike4mee

Hi
We will soon be a new ownner of a Kestral model for our Tundra to carry. We travel with bicycles everywhere. I have a yakama rack setup on my Sunlite popup (for sale cheap) now and would like to side mount it again like a car rack. Is there enough metal in the roof side for this? I can't afford to buy the track system FWC will install. Anybody mount a bike rack on the back by the door? Lookin for ideas
Thanks

There is a thread for it as mentioned. I have hitch receiver but just got it so no real experience with it yet...

Thanks for the thread link. That thread seem to talk about hitch racks. Hitch racks bounce your bikes around too much on rough roads. I want a rack that attaches to the camper. Looking for ideas from someone who isn't afraid to drill some holes? Thanks

My hitch rack actually has a threaded bolt that goes through the lock pin hole, tightens down, then extends through the other side for the cotter key/safety lock doodad. No bounce. Very nice.

This transport method has been thoroughly tested. I guarantee no bouncing of the bike & it won't fall off :)

I used a Delta lockable fork mount. Drilled 2 holes through the large Aluminum frame member at the top of the camper, cut about a 6"x3" aluminum plate for the inside, and secured it all with 2 carriage bolts & acorn nuts/washers on the inside. I screwed 2 small swivel D-rings at the bottom of the camper using existing screws that hold the metal trim, I use these D-rings to secure a Bungee through the rear wheel. I also put 3M clear protective film where the rear wheel rides and around the fork mount to protect from rubbing/scuffs & scratches.

I only carry 1 bike, but am planning a second mount on the other side (direction of door swing) this will be more difficult as the aforementioned door will be an issue hitting the bike, or the bike will be an issue hitting the door, either way, not good. I'll let you know what I come up with for the other side.

Sorry for the crappy photos, I can email better if your at all interested.

Attachments

• P1060946.jpg
    P1060946.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 288
  • P1060945.jpg
    P1060945.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 284
Thanks for the thread link. That thread seem to talk about hitch racks. Hitch racks bounce your bikes around too much on rough roads. I want a rack that attaches to the camper. Looking for ideas from someone who isn't afraid to drill some holes? Thanks

You might do a further search on "bike racks" in the forum. I know others had racks bolted into the camper. Dirty Dog or DLN? Can't remember but it's there if you go huntin' for it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom