Bilstein 5100s and air lifts

nixfwc

I am about to order a pair of Bilstein 5100 rear shocks for my 2005 Tacoma that also has Firestone Air lifts and Supersprings. The Bilsteins are listed for Tacomas with up to one inch of rear lift. It appears the the rear of my Tacoma has more lift than that without the camper installed. Has anyone had any problems with this setup? I am concerned about damaging the Bilsteins at full extension when the camper is not installed.

I don't think the bags lift the rear (other than making the springs do less work, hence a little higher in unloaded position). Not sure about the supersprings, but another leaf only adds about 1". Either way, you'd be pretty close to that 1" which is better than the stock shock. Doesn't Bilstein make one for more travel?

I've similar setup, 5100, AAL and Firestone bags in rear. I pump it to 25 psi on drive side and 15 on the passenger side. The rear sits 1" higher than stock with camper on. As long as you don't change out the stock leafs I think the leafs will limit how much travel you get in the rear. 5100 should work for you. If you swap out the stock leaf then you may need to get some extended shocks.

Back
Top Bottom