Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness Area

Elken

Advanced Member
Anyone been here? It is definitely added to my bucket list.

[SIZE=13.5pt]Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness Area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness is a rolling landscape of badlands which offers some of the most unusual scenery found in the Four Corners Region. Time and natural elements have etched a fantasy world of strange rock formations made of interbedded sandstone, shale, mudstone, coal, and silt. The weathering of the sandstone forms hoodoos - weathered rock in the form of pinnacles, spires, cap rocks, and other unusual forms. Fossils occur in this sedimentary landform. Translated from the Navajo language, Bisti (Bis-tie) means "a large area of shale hills." De-Na-Zin (Deh-nah-zin) takes its name from the Navajo words for "cranes."Video link below:[/SIZE]

https://youtu.be/zhz58Iw6YKI

I stopped there several years ago, there isn't much there other than some interesting erosion.
I was on my motorcycle so I did not hike very far. As I recall it was VERY windy.

Chaco Canyon is much more interesting.

Also check out Angel Peak recreation area to the east.

Elken said:
Anyone been here? It is definitely added to my bucket list.

Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness Area
The Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness is a rolling landscape of badlands which offers some of the most unusual scenery found in the Four Corners Region. Time and natural elements have etched a fantasy world of strange rock formations made of interbedded sandstone, shale, mudstone, coal, and silt. The weathering of the sandstone forms hoodoos - weathered rock in the form of pinnacles, spires, cap rocks, and other unusual forms. Fossils occur in this sedimentary landform. Translated from the Navajo language, Bisti (Bis-tie) means "a large area of shale hills." De-Na-Zin (Deh-nah-zin) takes its name from the Navajo words for "cranes."Video link below:

https://youtu.be/zhz58Iw6YKI
This is a sleeper spot!!! If you find a cliff edge near a ruins area on a night with rain fronts moving through the sunsets,clouds and lightning make a show you’ll never forget!

Concur with hebegebe, love that place, esp. when a monsoon storm hammers ya full frontal. Easy access from NM371, and sublimity increases with every footstep into the heart of the Bisti beast. Chaco is astounding in a whole different way, and extremely worthy. If you can, do both. Enjoy,
Rico.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't ever been to New Mexico. so I am looking for place / things to see when I make it the trip.

Reduced Bisti #1.jpgAs has been noted above, this is a special place. I only hope that it does not become too well known and over run with visitors like so many other special places have in the last few years.