Black aluminum flatbed?

What would you all think about a black aluminum flat bed? Better to anodize or powdercoat it?

I assume you're talking purely aesthetics here right? I'd probably use cost as the major driver honestly if I was going to pursue. Between the two processes I'd speculate anodizing would hold up better.

Looks? What are you painting your camper? I was leaning towards a grey most likely so it didn't get too hot in the summer but wasn't stark white. In the case of something like that the black would be an nice accent but I think raw aluminum would blend in fine as well with the matte oxidized finish.

Long story short for me I'd spend my dollars elsewhere, also you could always coat it later if you wanted.

Final thought if you're going black would be to maybe just use bed liner on the thing. (My thought right now for a camper build would be to use that on the bottom of it in place of paint for durability and friction to help keep it in place.)

Just some random research for a potential future project. I think that if I were getting the flatbed directly from a US based manufacturer it wouldn't cost any more to have a black finish over a polished finish.

Just some random research for a potential future project. I think that if I were getting the flatbed directly from a US based manufacturer it wouldn't cost any more to have a black finish over a polished finish.

They polish the aliminum on those flatbeds? What a waste of time. :oops:

I still vote bed liner. :D

Anodize would cost a fortune, it is not cheap. You would have to find a plater with a tank large enough to dunk it in.

Powdercoat is much more feasible. Unlimited colors, just spray and bake.

They polish the aliminum on those flatbeds?

The aluminum comes from the mill already polished. You can get dull, brite, highly polished to a "mirror" finish.

When PC first became commonly available I thought that it was a great product. Over time I've gradually lowered my opinion of it. Today I would paint with a true industrial coating before I'd PC anything.

I'll second ano being mucho spendy, assuming that you could find a tank big enough.

I"m a big fan of powdercoating, but wouldn't powdercoat something that would see as much abuse as a truck bed.

Just paint it flat or matte black, then whenever it gets scratched or dinged up you can just spray and walk away. No way to really "fix" a scratched powdercoat or anodizing job except blasting and starting fresh, though I agree a black flatbed would look sweet!

I"m a big fan of powdercoating, but wouldn't powdercoat something that would see as much abuse as a truck bed.

Just paint it flat or matte black, then whenever it gets scratched or dinged up you can just spray and walk away. No way to really "fix" a scratched powdercoat or anodizing job except blasting and starting fresh, though I agree a black flatbed would look sweet!

If the aluminum is treated first, the paint can hold up really well. Experienced with and without treatment years ago when painting an aluminum canoe. Without, paint flaked off shortly after applying.

I would vote for paint, though I haven't considered painting mine.

Wow getting spendy on a part of your truck that will see endless abuse. ANO is nearly out of the question being super expensive at that size product. PC is nice and all but it will get destroyed in a few months of use, I mean we are talking aluminum here, not the strongest most scratch resistant. IMO I would have the bed portion sprayed with a liner and then maybe just PC the outer trim and any lower areas.

I think I would go with a spray on liner as well. Powder coating tends to scratch off way too easily in my experience, for that type of use. Something like line-x would work so much better in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom