Black out the windows . . .

tnscoots

Advanced Member
Hello to the large format photographers out there,

I need to black out the camper windows (at night time) to prevent camp ground lights, moon light, etc., from entering so I can remove exposed film from holders, and then reload. Has anyone done this and if so, what material was used and how was it attached when black out is needed? I don't want to block the light permanently but only when changing film. I know I could use a changing bag, but I get so much dust on the film that the negatives are worthless unless scanned. But I still make silver prints. Please advise.
Cheers,
Tom

'98 Ranger Shell + 2012 Tacoma 4 banger. DSC00004 (3) copy.jpg

Going by Kodachrome's posts I thought film was done. Did I miss something? Talk to me Goose....

Hadley - thanks for the Harrison tip. I've never seen one of those; nice, I suspect, but a bit too pricey for my liking. I've owned a "done" type changing room for about 20 yrs. and I use it when there is no other option, but dust has always been a problem. I like the solution in the link another guy sent so I'll try a variation of that, with my wife's help.
Tom

I use a film changing tent, Harrison is the brand I think.

Why/how are you getting so much dust with a changing tent?

Yeah - I had to switch to Ilford HP-5 in 5x7. Need to run some tests, however.
Tom

Film is not dead, but Kodak film is. If anything film is making a comeback (from the dead) for large format photographers.

You might look into Duvetyne Black Out Fabric
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Black_Out.html

It's a fabric specifically for this use. Not cheap, though. They do offer samples.

Another Block Out Cloth by Duvetyne is:
Duvetyne Black Commando Cloth
This is heavier weight, so may be more complete in blocking. Both fabrics are found In Theater applications and such.

Google this fabric, you can find it cheaper.

Then look into the homemade Arctic Pack threads on a general idea how to build the curtains you would need. You would have to build curtains for both the top fabric and for windows, doors, vents and so on. At least they would not have to be complex to provide openings and such.

I'm entirely digital now or I'd probably be looking at this.

Back
Top Bottom