Blackrock desert - Mistakes were made.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Plan A for the weekend was to check out some lakes off of Highway 88 per Darryl's advice. But the weather for the area called for snow, so we went to Plan B. Dirty Dog was headed to Blackrock Desert and the weather report for the called for scattered thunderstorms. Chukar Hunter's description of the loop trip there really caught our attention. We left after work on Friday and camped a little short of Gerlach on a side road off of Highway 477. It rained off and on during the drive, finally stopping about 9:30 that night. We took that to mean the constant rain was done.

It started raining again about 5:00 Saturday morning. We gassed up in Gerlach before heading up Highway 34 and the Soldier Meadows Road. The attendant there said we would be fine as long as we stayed on the main road. The rain continued steadily and the road was a little slick as we headed in, but easily driveable. Two wheel drive was probably good enough, but we left it in four wheel drive for peace of mind. Along the way we met a group of 10 vehicles heading out. Four of them had Four Wheel Campers, but I never got a shot of any of them. Doh!

Soldier Meadows Road.
picture.php

Along the way was this interesting monument.
picture.php

As Chukar Hunter mentioned, locations that cross the Emigrant trail are marked and have quotes from diaries that refer to the location.
picture.php

Around noon we made it to Soldier Meadows Guest Ranch which was converted from an old Calvary fort. We took a few pictures there and moved on.
One of the original fort buildings.
picture.php

The BLM campground is not far from the ranch, so we headed there to settle in and have lunch. The area isn't signed at all, so it took us a bit of time to find the right road into camp. We could see other people set up, we just couldn't figure out how to get to where they were. Along the way, we checked out this cabin that is used as a camping spot. There is a free standing stove and the place is stocked with firewood, food, cots, and chairs. The walls and ceiling are covered in messages from people that stay there. Pretty amusing place.
The cabin.
[URL="http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=431[/IMG[/IMG"]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=431[/IMG[/IMG[/URL]]

We had lunch and relaxed for a while. About 3:00 it seemed to be clearing up and we were able to check out the campground a bit. There are some nice hot spring pools alongside the camp.
[IMG][IMG][URL="http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=432[/IMG[/IMG"]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=432[/IMG[/IMG[/URL]]

The bathroom is unique. Only about five feet tall and no roof. Had to wait for the rain to stop to use it.
[IMG][URL="http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=434"]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=434[/URL]

About this time we started hearing thunder. Soon the lightning strikes were close by. On a couple of them I was unable to count to two seconds before the thunder hit. That puts them within a quarter mile of us.:eek: With this storm, the rain came back and harder than ever. Stupid weather people. Had we known it would rain this much we never would have made the trip. We figured Dirty Dog got a better weather report than we did and stayed home.

About 6:00 I thought I could see a vehicle in the distance. Through the binoculars I could tell it was a silver truck with a camper. I'll be damned, he did show up. We watched DD go through the same difficulties we had getting into camp, but he finally joined us. Amazing how motivated he can be to get some beer.;) We hung out under the awning in the rain and chatted until late that night.

Sunday morning broke mostly clear. I enjoyed a soak in the hot springs and explored the area.
A morning shot of the campers.
[URL="http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=433[/IMG[/IMG"]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=433[/IMG[/IMG[/URL]]

Captain Leisure (DD) finally poked his head out about 9:00. we had breakfast and chatted some more. I think DD convinced my wife we need to do the Colorado rally, though I question his tactics.:rolleyes: DD was going to stay a couple more days but we had to head out. We discussed whether to continue the loop or go back the way we came. The camp host said he would not recommend continuing the loop with the weather we had been having. But the BLM guy had told DD the road would be fine. I decided we should continue the loop. We took a shot of a cool lizard that ran through camp, then bid farewell to DD and Diego.
The lizard, prior to being savagely attacked by the killer dog, Diego. (ok, just kidding).
[IMG][IMG][URL="http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=435[/IMG"]http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=435[/IMG[/URL]]

The ride out was rough as we went over the hills. There were occasional pools of water on the roadway that were like driving on ice, but we could keep one set of wheels out of most of them and plow through the rest. We dropped into a valley near High Rock Lake. Here the roads were flat and smooth. And the puddles were more frequent and larger. Soon we were in low low, plowing through endless water. I knew if we lost momentum and stopped, we likey wouldn't move again without help or waiting for the road to dry out.:( Finally we hit a high spot with no water. I stopped and looked at my wife. I said that the road is getting worse and I don't know if we can make it out this way. But we made it here, so we can make it back. We aborted the loop, made a nine point about face, and plowed back into the water. About three hours after leaving camp, we were back where we started. Wouldn't you know it, DD was close by, checking out the cabin. He and my wife had some fun at my expense, and we parted ways again. We eventually made it back to pavement and home, much later and dirtier than planned.

The mistakes: not taking the advice of a local on the road conditions, going alone, and using 4wd to get into trouble, not out of it. The luck of the high spot to turn around saved us from my stupidity. I've learned a lesson that I won't soon forget. We were so tense during this part of the drive, we never thought to take pictures of what were driving through. But DD got one of the after shots, and I'm sure he will have fun with it. A new rule I'm thinking of adopting- go in 2wd until you get stuck. Then use 4wd to get out of it and go back.

A new rule I'm thinking of adopting- go in 2wd until you get stuck. Then use 4wd to get out of it and go back.

I don't think this is a good idea. Common sense is a better approach.

If you use 2wd until you're stuck, you'll do more damage to the trail. And 4wd doesn't ensure you'll get unstuck, either.

Maybe a winch and a pull pal? Or add chains to your kit?

I hope you take the time to go back when the weather is better, It's a very interesting buitiful country. I was wondering did you see any signs or gates on the road near the Guest ranch? I heard the Indian Colony was going to close the road past the Ranch.
The BLM camp site and restrooms are pretty new, I have never even seen the short restrooms but my usual camps and hunting areas are pretty far off the beaten path.

Scott,

Good point on the 2wd. Perhaps that isn't a rule to adopt. And we do have chains, but we weren't carrying them as we were not expecting the weather we had. As to common sense, my wife can assure you i am lacking in that department.;)

C.H.,

We do intend to go back in better weather. The second trip will involve less time lost now that we know a little bit about the area. DD even mentioned there was enough parking around the cabin to accommodate a half dozen members. Maybe a mini rally prior to Colorado??? Just need to make sure it isn't the same week as Burning Man.

Forgot to mention - that Pliny the Elder beer you gave me was quite a surprise. Unique and very tasty. I'm going to look for it here.

Forgot to mention - that Pliny the Elder beer you gave me was quite a surprise. Unique and very tasty. I'm going to look for it here.

I'd be surprised if it is available up there. the brewery is only a couple of hours from here and our local mega liquor store just started carrying it. Just in case, look in the refrigerated sections only. They keep it chilled due to live yeast or something like that.

On the Beer Advocate website, Pliny the Elder ranks #2 for Double IPA's. Pliney the Younger, seasonal and available only at the brewery, ranks #1. For all beers on Earth, PTE is #7 and PTY is #2. Going to have to get some of that PTY.

Let me know if it isn't available. I'll make sure to bring some to future gatherings. BTW, having a bbq this weekend. Will try the brews you gave me then and give you a report.

I HIGHLY doubt you'll find it OR but if you do LET ME KNOW! :thumb:

Fall/Winter?

I hope you take the time to go back when the weather is better, It's a very interesting buitiful country. I was wondering did you see any signs or gates on the road near the Guest ranch? I heard the Indian Colony was going to close the road past the Ranch.
The BLM camp site and restrooms are pretty new, I have never even seen the short restrooms but my usual camps and hunting areas are pretty far off the beaten path.

CH,

Sounds like you spend time in this area during bird season (Fall/Winter). Are roads/weather pretty good during the whole bird season or just early? Does your "copilot" have much problem with snakes early in the season?

Thanks,
'birds

I HIGHLY doubt you'll find it OR but if you do LET ME KNOW! :thumb:

My local grocer now has Pliny the Elder. Awesome.

I have had a few incounters with snakes but not many, my dog has been snake trained and I also carry Benidril just in case. As for the road it is just hit and miss as far as weather, if the sun comes out the road will dry out pretty quickly. The area I travel to mostly it's better in the early season when you can drive on the playa and travel much faster and cut off about 30 miles of rough road.

I have had a few incounters with snakes but not many, my dog has been snake trained and I also carry Benidril just in case. As for the road it is just hit and miss as far as weather, if the sun comes out the road will dry out pretty quickly. The area I travel to mostly it's better in the early season when you can drive on the playa and travel much faster and cut off about 30 miles of rough road.

CH,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

'birds

Back
Top Bottom