BLM Indian Creek Recreation Area & Canyonlands National Park: The Needles

We will be south of there in a few weeks but would like to check out Lockhart Basin. Is Lavender Canyon gated? I heard it was off limits for camping. Thank-you for the great fotos yo illustrate your travels.

clikrf8 said:
We will be south of there in a few weeks but would like to check out Lockhart Basin. Is Lavender Canyon gated? I heard it was off limits for camping. Thank-you for the great fotos yo illustrate your travels.
There is a gate at the national park boundary where you need a permit for vehicle entry. I believe you're right that NPS doesn't allow camping in the park there. But there is 15 miles of road, 90% of which is BLM land, between the park and 211. I would expect you should be able to find dispersed camping along the road. I cannot comment on the road condition as I only drove in less than a quarter mile to where I camped.

I was in the same area a week ahead of you. I see I missed the blooming the flowers...there was some but not like what you have photos of. I love that area and need to spend some time there with the truck and camper so I can poke around more. Looking forward to the Arches report. Spent most of my time there on this last visit. Made up to the Delicate Arch, hope you made that hike.

Riverrunner said:
Looking forward to the Arches report. Spent most of my time there on this last visit. Made up to the Delicate Arch, hope you made that hike.
The flowers were really something, sorry you missed those.

No, my knees were telling me I'd had enough by the time I got to Delicate Arch. But I did have my secret weapon - 420mm worth of telephoto lens. There was a good vantage point about a hundred yards in on the 4-wheel drive trail. I drove that road up to the gate - maybe not a mile. Met a jeep coming out and discussed the road with him. Sounded like it was do-able, but I didn't see the point as it didn't really go anywhere interesting. I've processed my Arches photos and will post them today or tomorrow, but the sky wasn't pretty when I was there, so they are rather sub-ordinary. :oops:

Did you camp at Arches?

We didn't camp as we didn't have the truck and camper. We stayed in town and wandered from there. We were on our way home from Denver after buying a new Jeep there. It's my second visit and will be back as there is so much to see and explore. We had a bit of rain when we were there. I have both long distance shot of the arch but I wanted to stand under and touch it. We drove to the same place but didn't have time to go through the gate. Next time....

Back
Top Bottom