Blue Ridge Parkway in search of wildlife

smlobx

Lost again
We have always wanted to complete the drive South from our home near Roanoke, VA to the Southern end of the BRP and since the leaves were starting to turn colors it seemed like the perfect opportunity!

In a previous post about the solar eclipse that happened recently the Mile High Campground in Mollie's Gap NC was mentioned and since the elevation of the CG was 5410' it promised to be comfortable and there was even rumors of being able to see Elk that had been reintroduced in the area...

So off we went and eventually drove across the Lyn Cove Viaduct which was an engineering marvel that was completed in 1979 and thus completed the BRP.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 83
We drove through several tunnels on the way South and had a chance to view some of the best scenery East of the Mississippi!

Attachments

• IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 68
We eventually found our way to Mile High Campground (elevation 5410') after a quick stop in Asheville for some provisions.
The campground is on Cherokee Indian Reservation property and was pretty basic. It ran along a spine of the Blue Ridge and afforded fantastic views from almost any site.
Here are some sunset views...

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0730.JPG
    IMG_0730.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 69
After talking with a neighbor who suggested some areas to see the recently introduced Elk we set off the next morning and after some rough dirt roads that would make the road to the Racetrack in DV seem like a highway we arrived at an area of The Great Smokey Mountain NP that made the effort worthwhile?
We saw several preserved buildings that showcased the way people lived over a hundred years ago.
AND we saw some Elk and other wildlife as well!

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 85
We woke up the next morning to showers and a stiff breeze and after consulting the weather it looked like Hurricane Nate was making a beeline right for us so we decided to pack it up and drive the 6 hours home...

What a great getaway for you! The country looks wondrous and chocked full of history. Someday we'll wander over east of the Mississippi River. Thanks for posting! :)

Good to see you exercising the new rig, Eddie. You drove right past my wife in the Blowing Rock area. She was up there for a two day cycling trip with her longtime BFF. They saw a mama bear and two cubs while taking the bike shuttle up to Whitetop Station over on the Virginia Creeper Trail.

Blue Ridge Parkway trivia: The "missing link" around Grandfather Mountain, which includes the Linn Cove Viaduct, was completed in 1987, not 1979. One of my best friends was a construction laborer in 1985 and 1986 on that job. Ribbon cutting ceremony was 9/11/1987.

Thanks for sharing your report!

Foy

I looked at the campground - I took 19 to Cherokee - somehow missed the turn-off for the Blue Ridge Parkwauy heading West! :-(

hoyden said:
I looked at the campground - I took 19 to Cherokee - somehow missed the turn-off for the Blue Ridge Parkwauy heading West! :-(
From US 19, it's easy to miss since you're much of the way from Asheville to Cherokee before the BRP crosses US 19.

And thanks for the reminder to thank Eddie for the pics of Mile High CG. That's been on our list for a couple of years.

Foy

Nice trip and photos. We drove from Shenandoah NP to Roanoke in June and plan on doing the entire Blue Ridge next time. Thanks for sharing. jd

Nice pics. I have never driven that stretch of road and now it is on the list! So many roads so little time :)

Foy said:
Good to see you exercising the new rig, Eddie. You drove right past my wife in the Blowing Rock area. She was up there for a two day cycling trip with her longtime BFF. They saw a mama bear and two cubs while taking the bike shuttle up to Whitetop Station over on the Virginia Creeper Trail.

Blue Ridge Parkway trivia: The "missing link" around Grandfather Mountain, which includes the Linn Cove Viaduct, was completed in 1987, not 1979. One of my best friends was a construction laborer in 1985 and 1986 on that job. Ribbon cutting ceremony was 9/11/1987.

Thanks for sharing your report!

Foy
Hi Foy- my mistake. Construction started in 1979 and opened in 1987.
We saw several vehicles carrying racing bikes on them and were wondering what was going on. We did the Virginia Creeper trail last year and really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom