Bobcat prototyping build

drumwood

We took our maiden voyage shakedown overnighter a couple of weeks ago, so now is a good time to document progress so far. Before I start the next phase.
Image1495835474.820748.jpg
I am taking a Proto typing approach to building out my shell. My wife and I have not owned a camper before or even done any RV type camping. So everything I've built is an experiment, that we will try out and then likely change.

I am having trouble putting pictures in this topic. I better post what I have so far and do the rest and subsequent posts.

I built the cabinet boxes out of half inch Baltic Birch with water-based lacquer finish. Mounting is with a French cleat system so I can move them easily.

IMG_1107.JPG

I am building the boxes as light as possible. The front is a mitered frame. I plan to fill the frame with a fabric panel. That will give me access from the front, so I don't have to dig down from the top if something is at the bottom. And the cabinet can have shelves since there is front access.

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

I can only get one photo per post. This is getting tedious. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

For the counter area I just leveled out the middle step with one by six so I can use some bins. At this point I'm not planning to build in the water system so this will all be storage under the counter.
Image1495838920.957428.jpg

I want to optimize for solar. I haven't put in an isolator or a converter. So my only charging while on a trip is solar. We'll see if that is sufficient.

I've got it all in one of the side dinette seating boxes.

Image1495839081.947329.jpg

Besides the standard lights, I am running a truckfridge, furnace fan, and lights. I just wired in a USB charging outlet as well.

I've got the trimetric 2030 controller and monitor. It is giving me a good readouts so I can evaluate my usage.

Image1495839721.065174.jpg

Since I haven't camped like this before, I did not really try to estimate my usage. I had no usage to estimate. But by reading the posts on this forum I've figured that we could get by to start with a 100 watt Renogy panel on the roof and a 110 amp hour Crown AGM battery. I hope to monitor our usage and adapt our camping methods to the system we have. But if necessary there is room on the roof for another panel. Or I can add a portable.

By the way, the shake down overnighter went very well. We went to Fort Stevens State Park on the Oregon coast. My wife and I both slept through the night in comfort. Better than at home. The weather was good. We saw some very interesting birds. A hopeful harbinger for trips to come.

Thanks Frank.

I should also post a thanks to everyone that has contributed information to this forum. I have learned so much, especially from those that have built out their campers.

Good idea to do the prototyping approach- you will probably change things around a couple of times. Have fun camping!

Ah, the joys of planning and implementation. Just remember everyone is different. Don't feel compelled to do it the same way as others have. I like your prototype method. Each trip will refine your set up, until one day you enjoy a trip and say to yourself, "I can't think of anything I would change". At that point it is time for a different rig, because some of us just thrive on that stimulation.

"My wife and I both slept through the night in comfort. Better than at home. The weather was good. We saw some very interesting birds. A hopeful harbinger for trips to come."

The best part! :)

Congrats on your new camper and best of luck with outfitting and setting up your unit.

Enjoy the adventures!

"Just remember everyone is different. Don't feel compelled to do it the same way as others have." What she said...

Well, I guess I am well past the prototyping stage now but I'll just add to this post to keep the story going.

I built out the side counter cabinets and side dinette and we took several trips this summer. It worked great, but now I'm tweaking things a bit and it is a good time to catch up the post.

Here are the side cabinets with no shelves or counters. I used 1/2" Baltic Birch with a water based lacquer-type finish. I used a frame construction to reduce weight.

gallery_6513_1167_67422.jpg

The counter cabinet is 16" wide. The same width as the wheel well inset. That is a little narrow, but we like having some room to move around in the camper. I fastened a partial bottom under the frame side panel so it is flush with the upper inset of the floor pack. To keep things in the bottom of the cabinet, I hinged a 3" flip-down lip with spring roller catches.

gallery_6513_1167_389813.jpg

Below the cabinet I have a stretch net to create a little storage for towels and what-not.

gallery_6513_1167_1567957.jpg

The cabinets are drilled with shelf pin holes for shelves. I want to keep things adjustable. I found some locking shelf pins to keep the shelves in place.

gallery_6513_1167_175743.jpg

The shelves are a frame construction with 1/8" oak plywood centers. Nice and lightweight. I had scraps of the oak plywood left over from another project. Otherwise I would opt for something less expensive. But it makes a nice looking shelf.

gallery_6513_1167_739855.jpg

The shelves also have the hinged lip, but I attached an angle brace to the shelf to hold the spring catch. That way I can move the shelf where I want it without screwing the catch into the cabinet panel.

gallery_6513_1167_1450264.jpg

Cabinet with empty shelves.

gallery_6513_1167_870569.jpg

I found these really inexpensive plastic bins at Bimart that are just about the right size. And very lightweight. There is a short and a tall size.

gallery_6513_1167_717905.jpg

I can get four short bins or two tall bins in a cabinet.

gallery_6513_1167_1232871.jpg

gallery_6513_1167_456823.jpg

With the lip down, it supports the bin when it slides out. They come out far enough for access. Not quite as smooth as drawers with drawer slides, but a whole lot lighter and more adjustable.

gallery_6513_1167_1116955.jpg

That is enough on the side cabinet for now. Time to go to bed. I'll work on getting pictures posted of the counter and side dinette.

Back
Top Bottom