Bobcat shell on Frontier

Omyst

Just ordered a bobcat shell with the furnace, couch. The guys at ATC said it will weigh in around 800. I am going to pick it, it is a two day drive for me. It will be put on a 2012 Nissan Frontier 6 cyclinder 4x4 rated for 1350lbs. So I have been wondering about what suspension upgrades might be necessary, and how it will affect braking. Any thoughts ? Thanks

I have a Bobcat on a Frontier. Shell with bench cabinets that run the length on each side.

It handled well enough stock. When I first drove it, I really noticed the weight, but got use to it. Braking works, but you can feel the weight behind you when you are stopping. You need to be mindful of that. I did add a leaf spring, more for confidence than anything, but it did improve handling, as well as a little height.

The guy that installed the spring implied I would be okay without it. The person who built the spring said I was cheating death.

It does squeak however. Really need to air down the tires now to get it in the garage.

You should get some airbags. The truck won't explode without them but its going to drive much better with properly tuned suspension for the weight you are carrying. Braking will take you longer you'll just have to get used to needing more time to stop. If you are a California resident you will need to undo your tailgating training :D

And welcome to the board :)

Cool

Thinking about installing airbags before I head to Reno in Dec/Jan ( un-inflated ) then adjusting somewhere in Reno. Have any ballpark idea of how much more percent braking distance; guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks Rob & Dirty Dog

I have a 2007 Frontier crew cab, long bed with a bobcat installed. I've found the airbags are very helpful on the street but offroad even on gravel roads the suspension is pretty bad. Anybody have an ideas on how to fix the suspension for mild offroad?

Stiffer tires

I've got a 2007 Frontier Nismo King Cab with an Eagle on it. Air bags helped a lot, but there was still a lot of sway and "spongy" feel. I put on a pair of BF goodrich T/A KO tires (E rated) and it make a world of difference. Whole new vehicle. Very solid and sure footed. I run 42 psi up front and 45 in the rear. Mileage took a hit, but it was much nicer to drive on the road and off road. Air down for prolonged rough roads to get a more comfortable ride. But those tires were the biggest and best thing I did for my ride.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom