Bobcat - Tailgate on?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I haven't talked to the team ATC yet, but I am considering leaving my tailgate on to function as a ledge that could be a base for things like fuel cans and recovery tools. Similar to the photo of an Alaskan below...

image.jpeg

Has anyone done this? If so, any issues (other than possible head bumps)?

Another option would be to ask Jeff and Marty to install an AT can holder that could be used for either fuel or water cans.

image.jpeg

I am having a Rotopax mount and can installed with the build, but wonder if the AT box might be a better option.

I tired it once when I first got my Bobcat.
It was just too hard to get in or out through the camper door for me.

With the tail gate ON, I had to duck at the waist and knees too much either getting in or getting out of the camper.
With the tail gate OFF, getting IN is a "going up" and getting OUT is a "going down" kind of an action.
A lot less ducking at the waist and knees for me.
Tail gate is always OFF now for me.

However, it may be OK for you.
I believe that Alaskan's have a full height, two piece door, so no ducking to get in or out (I think).

Plus I like to carry heavy things (i.e., recovery items) between the truck wheels whenever I can.
Non-volatile heavy things are in the cab behind the front seats.

You've got the right idea with volatile things on the outside rear wall.

Alley-Kat said:
Yep and just wait until you grow up and your knees and back don't work the way they used to work when you were younger.
Um, not sure if I will ever grow up ;) , but the back and knees are gone already :( . My orthopod says the next knee surgery is a replacement.

I have a Bobcat riding on a 2012 Tacoma. I left the tailgate on when I first got the Bobcat on for a few weeks while driving around town to see what it was like. It didn't work for me for 3 main reasons:

1.) Like others have said, getting in and out of the camper is more challenging with the tailgate on. I thought the ledge of tailgate would make for a nice place to sit and rest items (which it kind of did). But the stepping in and out was just plain awkward. I much prefer using a small step stool and I also have a tiny hitch mount folding step that's good for a boost to get in and out.

2.) On the Tacoma the spare tire can't be lowered with the factory wrench thingy (don't know the actual name for the handle?) when the tailgate is down and the camper is putting weight on it. I believe there are some mods you can do to the extension arm, but I didn't feel like dealing with it.

3.) Since the Tacoma's backup camera is on the tailgate, I end up moving the camera down to the bumper. This ones not really a reason why the tailgate "won't work", but just something that factored into my decision.

I've come up with some ideas in my head about how to add a removable table-like platform that attaches to the bumper of the bottom of the camper to act as a space to put things like snacks of dinner when we're hanging outside. But, I haven't gotten around to making that yet.

Good luck!

I'm a HUGE fan of leaving the tailgate on. I didn't think I would be at first but ever since my maiden voyage with my Bobcat, I've love it. I have a "porch" now and I can stand on it to access things stored on the roof and I'm always setting things on it.

rsz_img_0504.jpg

With our current setup, I have always left the tailgate on. I like the security of locking the tailgate, making it difficult for things to walk away from the sides, like the porch, put a piece of sport turf on it to clean my feet before entering, gives the dog something to jump on and off of .
With our soon to be built ATC, the door will be on the side, so not an issue. I do worry about the dog getting in and out, still working on steps.
I am 6'2", and I too have cracked my head many times, but over all, I like the protection and security and convenience of leaving it on.

Thanks all for the feedback on both the tailgate and extra fuel containers. I've decided to stay with Rotopax, but will probably experiment with the tailgate (assuming I can access the spare with the TG down).

Back
Top Bottom