Boon docking

dmr

My husband and I would like to start camping through the west and in a couple years head to Alaska for month. How do we know where boon docking is legal. In my area we know most national forest camping any where is legal, but some of the state forest are not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend starting with a Benchmark or Gazetteer map book of your desired destination. As a rule of thumb, all NFS and BLM land; unless specifically prohibited, allow dispersed camping up to 14 days. This would be the green areas on your map. If you have questions about specific spots, you should check with whatever district management office is responsible for that particular location.

NPS, DoD, DOE, and NWR sites; although publicly owned, generally do not allow dispersed camping.

State forests are an entirely different animal. You need to check with each one specifically for their rules. Off the top of my head I do not know of many state owned lands (in any state) which allow dispersed camping. Though I'm sure there are some who do. YMMV.

In AK you can basically boondock anywhere as long as it's off the highway enough and it's not private property.

:LOL:
He's right, green =FS, yellow=BLM, every agency has it's own color. The US fish and wildlife service (USF&WS and the corps of engineers(COE) ( they almost always have real good CG's/with hot showers) have allot of good places to camp! Use the internet and visit the respective state or regional HQ's-they all have easy to look at recreational/CG maps to guide you and free stuff to help you find neat places. To me the planning of a trip is almost as much fun as doing it-I mean maps, lot's of maps and things means creating great adventures in your living room at night. And don't forget this site-and ones like it, once you have a rough plan ask us what's going on and what to do-we all just love to share our areas and expertise on any number of subjects-not to mention, lists and pictures of past trips we have made right here on "Wonder the West"! That reminds me, I just got a bunch of new USFS Nevada maps that I need to look at and start planning for that next winter trip-and Spring and Summer. Maybe need to look at my BLM /Ca/Nev/Oregon maps again too-this years fires burnt up many of my play areas, any water this winter, they aught to be starting to grow back, but got to remember all the rehab teams will be out too---so much planning to do-and so many places to see and not enough time!:LOL: Maps, Maps Maps!

Smoke

we would go to forest service offices and get maps they usually have motor vehicle use maps that are free and have camping on them. I would spend a little time cross referncing on my computer if I could. There are also BLM offices that have maps.
If you are anything like us, pre-planning is not our strong suit. We winged it from Florida to Alaska and seemed to always end up in a beautiful spot!!!

In the Oregon part of the west, in addition to the USFS and BLM lands the Department of State Lands,(DSL)are available for boon docking. The boon dock concept is pretty easy to execute in Eastern and Central Oregon it takes a little more work in Western Oregon or the Coast. Of course we're kinda noted for our State Parks. Maps help and as stated are available at about any of the land management offices or online.

A LOT of the western states are public domain outside of the metropolitan or developed agriculture areas. For example my territory covers most of Central and Eastern Oregon, Northern Nevada and Southwestern Idaho. by County the percentage of public to private domain runs from 30some to 70some percent. So as Randygirl said above you can almost wing it and be alright.

Back
Top Bottom