Bottle to Tank Water Transfer

super doody said:
One has to wonder if the 4 and 5 star reviews were written by NT reps to offset the honest 1 star reviews.

CamperCamper said:
Here's my Baja solution. I faced the same dilemma last spring knowing that water would be the limiting factor to length of remote beach stays.

I carry three 7 gal water jugs on the floor of the back seat of the truck.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0267.JPG

You can buy them here: https://www.rei.com/product/618168/reliance-aqua-tainer-7-gal

I pump the water from the jug using these:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0265.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0266.JPG

You can get those items here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLSNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. And here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O892Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I store it all in one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BLACK-DECKER-SOFT-SIDED-16x10x10-TOOL-AND-ACCESSORY-BAG/192038021686?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3De4a4aff2dfad4364b67cf2b987abb5aa%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D262190882600

Total time to unload, pump, and put it all back in the truck less than 20 minutes. Cerveza time. Refill at an aqua purificada station when you finally work your way through 47 gals of water. Return to beach for more of same!

A bilge pump...really?

I use a Rule bilge pump that I wired to a male cigarette lighter adapter and plug inside the camper. I run a hose from a bucket to the camper and then dump the water into the bucket. It works like a champ. I don't drink out of the camper water tank so I'm not too concerned.

I posted a picture of my setup a while ago. You may find it if you do a search.

Bwht4x4 said:
I use a Rule bilge pump that I wired to a male cigarette lighter adapter and plug inside the camper. I run a hose from a bucket to the camper and then dump the water into the bucket. It works like a champ. I don't drink out of the camper water tank so I'm not too concerned.

I posted a picture of my setup a while ago. You may find it if you do a search.
OK...fair enough for you...but most of FWC owners DRINK water we carry in our FWC system..hence we really need to be aware of contaminants from the water source, delivery and storage systems...I know that I can't live forever, but I really want to be as healthy as I can for as long as I can... ;)

But that might just be me... :D

Phil

Advmoto18 said:
One has to wonder if the 4 and 5 star reviews were written by NT reps to offset the honest 1 star reviews.
I don't have any experience with that particular/brand model. Just pointing out another option for transferring water.

Wallowa said:
OK...fair enough for you...but most of FWC owners DRINK water we carry in our FWC system..hence we really need to be aware of contaminants from the water source, delivery and storage systems...I know that I can't live forever, but I really want to be as healthy as I can for as long as I can... ;)

But that might just be me... :D

Phil
I may be weird, but I would drink the water from the camper after using my bilge pump without blinking. I usually carry so much bottled drinking water that I save the camper's tank water for cleaning only. I do use it to brush my teeth though. If you have concerns about contaminants all you'd have to do is run the bilge in warm water with some Dawn soap for 10 mins and you'd be fine. I'd bet folks get 1,000 times greater petroleum contaminants from spilling fuel on their skin/clothes when dispensing fuel into their vehicles on just one occasion then using a bilge pump for every day for 10 years. I won't even begin to describe the likely contamination I've received from filling my chainsaw with fuel!

I've had Giardia more times than I can count on hands and feet. Never fun and always travel with Flagyl. But, toxins released from petroleum based products are insidious and you usually don't know you have a serious health issue until it becomes a very serious health issue.

Personally, I will stick to food grade materials/products or those specifically classified as suitable for potable water systems.

Bwht4x4 said:
I may be weird, but I would drink the water from the camper after using my bilge pump without blinking. I usually carry so much bottled drinking water that I save the camper's tank water for cleaning only. I do use it to brush my teeth though. If you have concerns about contaminants all you'd have to do is run the bilge in warm water with some Dawn soap for 10 mins and you'd be fine. I'd bet folks get 1,000 times greater petroleum contaminants from spilling fuel on their skin/clothes when dispensing fuel into their vehicles on just one occasion then using a bilge pump for every day for 10 years. I won't even begin to describe the likely contamination I've received from filling my chainsaw with fuel!

Beating a dead horse since everyone has their own comfort zones but re-read #17 this is not about petroleum contaminates but more likely about the materials the pumps are made of....and for the record Dawn will not do squat except to remove oils...great mild detergent but not for eliminating plastic or metal contaminants...how much is too much? Regardless of the flow rate the contamination over time can be accumulative..

Offically off topic...but a worth while exchange never the less.

So we agree to disagree and assume whatever risks we choose to.... ;)

Cheers,

Phil

I don't think we're beating a dead horse...lots of things to consider. After all, who wants to get the runs out in the middle of nowhere or worse, hospitalized on an adventure.

Food grade or components designed for potable water systems use food grade lubricants. Purchasing components outside the "food grade" classification means your likely to end up with gears, bearings and other friction surfaces swathed in moly/multi-purpose grease. Not good for human ingestion. And even those the petroleum based lubes may be sealed and isolated from the water flow, toxins leach through plastic and rubber very quickly. Note in the article below, that some petroleum-based lubes are approved for human ingestion.

Here's more on food grade machine lubricants.

Spilling fuel on the skin is an entirely different matter than organ damage due to ingestion. It doesn't take a lot of some petroleum based chemicals/toxins products which are ingested to put you in the hospital. Plus, slow, insidious poisoning over time usually leads to more severe cases of organ damage. So using a pump not classified as a "potable component" a few times may not cause much harm. Use it numerous times a day over many weeks or months, that might be a different story.

In the Marine Corps, we were overly cautious of our potable water systems, components and supply. Nothing except food-grade components were ever allowed near potable water.

Ultimately, its up to each of us to determine the level of risk we wish to expose ourselves too. Just remember, chemical/toxin ingestion by children and more elderly seniors will possibly have more severe results.

Advmoto18 said:
In the Marine Corps, we were overly cautious of our potable water systems, components and supply. Nothing except food-grade components were ever allowed near potable water.

Ultimately, its up to each of us to determine the level of risk we wish to expose ourselves too. Just remember, chemical/toxin ingestion by children and more elderly seniors will possibly have more severe results.

First thanks for your service...I mean that. Next I always wondered about the strong plastic taste in those green, 2 quart, flexible plastic canteens....can't be good and I don't know if Corp used them...the taste alone caused me to throw them out.

I am one of the seniors you mention and damn straight when you get this far into the journey you tend to focus on health issues.

Unfortunately we all tend to be immersed in one toxin or another; so mitigating what we can will go a long ways in promoting longevity. Yes, how to "transfer" water broaches the issue of toxins; but each one of us will choose a different assumption of risk.

For me, just for me, I prefer to go with food grade components and the best water supply available.

Phil

Phil...

Thanks for the kind words Phil!

We used those green canteens 40 years ago. No doubt they were full of BPA. Loved plastic tasting water....NOT!

Marines have carried Camelbak or similar bladders or bottled water for several decades now.

And being 60+, I too am more careful managing risks.

I spent my entire airline career flying international. I always ate the local fare. Many times regretted doing so. Now days, when traveling outside the US in developing countries (which I prefer to travel) I only eat overly cooked food and fruits/veggies that I can peel. And, whatever it is, it must pass the smell decent/good test.

All water goes through a MSR Guardian Purifier. The Guardian was developed by MSR in conjunction with DARPA (DoD) several years ago for use by the military. It was just released to the public this year. It is an excellent (EXPENSIVE) treatment system. But, it will not remove chemicals or toxins. So you still have to know the source, examine the supply and still hope the no-see-ems that can hurt you, yet pass through the Guardian, aren't present.

Bill

For me, just for me, I prefer to go with food grade components and the best water supply available.

Phil

Do you have any leads on an affordable food grade pump?

Vic Harder said:

Phil

Do you have any leads on an affordable food grade pump?

Honestly have not been looking, but I will...in the mean time I asked West Marine about the recommended bilge pump we are discussing and they said is was not for use in pumping drinking water....

So far my 26 gallons on-board and 5 gallon jug in reserve [which I have never used] has been adequate for the two of us for 7+ days even with a couple of "GI" outside showers...

I supplement or drinking water via a hand pump water filter and four 1 liter water bottles...BPA free of course :D ..they are handy to keep us hydrated and we each hike [or motocycle ride] with large capacity Camelbak packs [3 quarts each?]..

Phil

Advmoto18 said:
n canteens 40 years ago. No doubt they were full of BPA. Loved plastic tasting water....NOT!

Marines have carried Camelbak or similar bladders or bottled water for several decades now.

And being 60+, I too am more careful managing risks.
Bill, Semper Fi I retired in 89 so I'm old too. Drank a lot of water from the green Plastic canteens, metal ones too... maybe that's what turned me wild ;) I was always more worried about the water I filled it with from the " Water Buffalo" ;) Today I'm not as Young and Dumb so I'm more careful. Even when I fill my on board Water tank at home I use an additive to try and protect it. I try and drink bottled water while I'm traveling. I hate the use of plastic bottles while on grid but find them at least more comforting off grid.

XJINTX said:
Bill, Semper Fi I retired in 89 so I'm old too. Drank a lot of water from the green Plastic canteens, metal ones too... maybe that's what turned me wild ;) I was always more worried about the water I filled it with from the " Water Buffalo" ;) Today I'm not as Young and Dumb so I'm more careful. Even when I fill my on board Water tank at home I use an additive to try and protect it. I try and drink bottled water while I'm traveling. I hate the use of plastic bottles while on grid but find them at least more comforting off grid.
Semper Fi XJ!

We'll be heading through TX in March for our annual 3 month trip to the SW USA and nothern Baja. Deviating through Austin for some Franklin BBQ...a must do for this trip!

The water always tasted better coming stright from the water buffalo into my tin cup. Storing water even for a short time in the green, plastic canteen gave water a foul taste. No wonder we had all those breaks during marches and the "Gunny" ensuring we drank our fill.

Being retired and fixed, to no income, and reading that Coca-Cola, Pepsi and others now make more money selling bottled water than soda, I looked for an alternative. Wally Mart water was cheaper, but, still costly on a long trip. And the WM bottles state, "filled from a municipal water source."

So I went to REI and bought 4 of these Nalgene (BPA free) bottles for about $5 each years ago (now about $7).
When we stop for breakfast on the road, I just ask the sweet waitress if I can fill them in the kitchen. 99.9% of the time I get "oh honey, just give those things to me and I'll fill 'em for you". I just drop some extra cash/tip on the table and head out with my day's supply of water.

Bill, we've been using the Nalgene bottles for years. They're great!

BTW, back in the 'Old Corps'... We still had the rattley aluminum canteens ;) . Semper Fi gents!

Bill if you come to TX and Austin we should meetup :) I'm in Eddy, north of Austin but south of Waco. You need to checkout Lockhart, TX the BBQ capitol of TX. heck I'd meetup there. If you are road weary we have plenty of space for you all to crash too ;)

Don't get me wrong the FWC holds 20 gal but I like bottled for meals and such. Use the onboard for washing up and showers. In fact last trip was as low as ever with onboard water glad I had bottled to cook and drink. Use a camelback for hikes... but also have nalgene and aluminium for bottled too.

Timothy McGowen said:
Know nothing about this but found it while searching around the other day. Seems that it would fit if your container had a 2" opening.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFAT1NG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AU6QBAS5LHKW&coliid=I11TIW1XWXWKMK

Tim,

Just saw this and like it..thanks....will spec it out. Size is good, price is low and GPM all that is needed...will do research on it.

Phil

Hmmmm...under "Features" this statement..."Can made into food grade"....OK what does that mean? Other than it was made in China....

Back
Top Bottom