Brass lift cylinders

64highboy

Advanced Member
Removed three of the rams from my camper. I need some info on these couldn't seem to find it on the forum. The top of the ram where the verticals bolt goes in this threaded brass piece just slides out, how should this be held in. Also the where the two halves meet what kind of cap or seal should be here mine all have plastic bottle caps. I thought about brazing the cracks and the threaded cap on the end.

The top screws should be threaded, perhaps they are striped. The cap on mine are plastic as well, it just keeps the o-ring clean. Are the rams actually leaking or is it the top cracked? New rams are $175.USD. this is for the large rams I don't know if you can mix them.

You are in this far I would take my rams apart and clean the inside well, mine had dirt and bit of left over o-ring in them. When it warms up a bit more I will replace my o-rings and clean them out.

The oil was very clean one ram leaked bad and the other two are ok the fourth is stainless. The rams are cracked at the very top and the brass piece that goes it the end is defiantly never striped. It has never had threads. I'm going to try and braze the tube at the top and then solder the end piece on then I can heat it if I ever have to take it apart to replace o rings again

Its worth a try. I had one crack on the bottom while I was in Baja in November I tried to have it fixed by brazing it but it is fitted to a close enough standard that it would not hold, that why I know the price. Yours should be the small ones unless they have been replaced at some point, the larger ones came out in mid 94 I don't think you can get the small one anymore and also don't think you can mix them.

One of the rams has been replaced with the larger stainless ram. Ill try and post some picks of the repair once I'm done. Trying to do this on a budget 175 each for three rams brings it over.

I just upgraded to the bigger cylinders. I have 3 all brass and one with SS piston that I can sell, send me a pm an offer if it would help. They all work fine, no leaks. I upgraded because I am rebuilding the whole camper and felt like it :)

Yup their a "thing" alright. When I took mine off the truck last Dec, I noticed a little play or looseness in the front passengers corner. In Baja last fall I found a road that I wanted to try, about 1 hour in a Fuso with a camper on the back is coming out we stop to talk and He says I'm the first he has seen in two days. I had figured it would take a while its about 180 km but two days seemed a while alright. The hurricane in sept had destroyed parts of the road and it was indeed a slow go. My Alaskan does not sit high enough over the box, on a normal 4x4 road it is not a problem but on this one there was a fair amount of frame twisting and the camper hit the box side and dislocated the front corner and cracked along the weld of the box as well. So the box comes off on Thursday and my welder says I will never have to worry about it again. The "thing" will get a metal gusset on both front corners inside and out and I should not have to worry about it ether. On the good side the wood is sound so its an easy fix.

The road is from the Bahia De Los Angeles through El Arko back to Guerrero Negro. I would like to do it again it goes thru some of the most beautiful secluded country I have seen down there but I was alone (me & the dog) and in hind sight it could have gone bad, Lots of river bed with sand, didn't stop to take pictures as I was afraid I would not get stated again. I will try and do a trip report with the pictures I have but well you know the sun is shinning, last time I put pictures up it took long into the night and I am computer illiterate among other things so maybe later.

when you replace your o-ring...do them all....they'll eventually fail and you have a registration date when you changed them....you'll be doing it again in about 6-8 years...if you use the camper well.

keep an extra set in the drawer over the refer.....you never know when the tweek meets the twalk and something goes haywire

I'm in need of an older brass lift cylinder for my 77 Alaskan if anyone's got a decent one. Keeping my eyes open on the gear exchange.

Sent from my XT1585 using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks I will try her,put some locktight weld over the crack as a temp fix,no longer weeping oil out.

Well I haven't heard back from her,so putting the feelers back out for an older decent cylinder if anyone might have one,might just have to order a new bigger ram from Bryan,but have heard you shouldn't mix them.

You may have luck at McMaster Carr finding the cylinder tubing. Mine didn't even look like the bottom of the cylinder was soldered or brazed, but it's hard to believe it wouldn't be. Just reuse the bottom piece and the piston.
You won't have much luck mixing cylinder sizes.
Changing to all bigger pistons is an expensive option, because the oil tank needs to be bigger, so depending on which pump you have,you may have to upgrade(or mod the original)

Thanks ripper,thought about that..so how did you get the bottom brass fitting off,is it threaded or just pressed?

just pressed and with o-ring if you find a complete cylinder see if they have two,I need one.

Will do ray, It's usable but not ideal..the loctite seems to be sealing the leak sufficiently for now,but not an ideal long term fix..really liking the flow control valves Bryan sent,no more uneven raising or lowering..just adjust the dial on each cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom