Brass lift cylinders

Im still having some problems with my rams. I ended up grinding the cracks out and soldering them and it held up really good except one ram where i might not have ground out far enough and over the winter the crack started to form again just at the end of the solder. We have a new silicon bronze mig welder at work so im considering taking the solder out and using the mig brass. One of the o rings i replaced last year started to leak right away every time i put the top up more oil would puke out the top of the cyliner. I ended up using pvc caps for the dust covers, ground the threads out untill they fit snug and drilled a hole in the top. Ive been trying to find rubber caps like the attached picture locally but its impossible and getting three of them across the border is a pain.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 88
Are you trying to make a secondary seal at the top? Seems like this would be tough to make work.

I was going to post this question to the O ring replacement but this may be better. Has anyone used a quad seal instead of o rings? I have two of the cylinders re done but am not happy with one I think the center is belled, I could heat and hone or try a metric o ring, but was thinking a quad seal covers twice. thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom