Bridgeport and Lee Vining

super doody

Hi All,

We are heading up to the Eastern Sierras later this week for a 4 day trip. We are planning to do a loop from the Bay Area. Up Sonora pass, a couple nights at Leavitt Lake, down 395 than last night in Yosemite.

I know there are a lot of options for camping along 395 but I wanted to get some recommendation for places to stay and things to see. Mono Lake and whoa nellie deli are a couples places of interesting. Green Creek area also looks interesting.

Thanks,

Jim

Don't forget Bodie, go in through Aurora Canyon, very scenic and no horrible washboard as on the main road in.

Lots of great camping in Green Creek area. A very scenic road between Green Creek area and Virginia Lakes.

Stop at the ranger station just south of Bridgeport for maps and info.

Fish taco plate at Whoa Nellie was excellent last Saturday evening. The Lady enjoyed the portobello mushroom sandwich. Green Creek area was quiet on Sunday morning with the aspen and willows just getting a start on fall color. As Bob said, there are many dispersed sites. Our favorite is at the big rock before the road climbs up to the trailhead and campground. Green Creek is at the lowest water level I've ever seen, although it is still pretty. Aurora Canyon is east out of Bridgeport. The aspen groves along the top of the Bodie Hills many times have color before the Sierra. After visiting Bodie you can take Cottonwood Canyon road to the south to Mono Lake and the highway from Hawthorne and avoid that awful washboard Bob speaks of.

Dunderburg Meadows Road runs from Green Creek to Virginia Lakes Road. There are some nice campsites along it.

With the light rains now, you may have cleaner washed skies.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Looking forward to it. I have been trying to get up to Lake Leavitt for the past couple of years but timing and weather didn't line up. Ski, I've read all of your blog entries on Leavitt Lake. Hopefully, we wont have any inconsiderate folks show up.

Looks like the weather will be down in the 30s at night.

I just drove up to Levitt Lake to kick off a backpack trip. The road is a challenge, but can be done. It gets pretty rugged after the first creek crossing. The hot springs south of Mammoth are nice. You can remote camp by them, but count on company if your close to an actual pool.

dakozicki said:
I just drove up to Levitt Lake to kick off a backpack trip. The road is a challenge, but can be done. It gets pretty rugged after the first creek crossing. The hot springs south of Mammoth are nice. You can remote camp by them, but count on company if your close to an actual pool.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen videos of the drive on youtube. My tundra has 2'' coilover lift and 285 tire (10 ply) so hopefully that will help. For the challenging sections, I"m planning to ask my daughter and wife to spot me while I drive. I'll just go super slowly.

If you are on Tioga or Sonora Pass next Sunday the 18th. Wave if you see an old fart on a white Ducati Multistrada wearing a bright yellow jacket. I will be leading a group of motorcycle on my annual birthday ride. Will have lunch at Whoa Nellie Deli. I wave at all pop up campers.

IMG_8635.jpg

billharr said:
If you are on Tioga or Sonora Pass next Sunday the 18th. Wave if you see an old fart on a white Ducati Multistrada wearing a bright yellow jacket. I will be leading a group of motorcycle on my annual birthday ride. Will have lunch at Whoa Nellie Deli. I wave at all pop up campers.

attachicon.gif
IMG_8635.jpg
We might see you there at the deli before we head into Yosemite. Happy Birthday Bill.

For me it's dinner at the deli after the Millpond Music Festival in Bishop, headed toward an art class in Yosemite on Monday. Popular spot this weekend. They had dusting of snow on top of Sonora Pass yesterday, so come prepared.

Jim, Nice meeting you and the family at Whoa Nellie Deli yesterday. We had a great ride and a find lunch.

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 62
Nice to seeing you Bill! We had an epic 4 day trip. It was a perfect Sierra Sampler. I hope to post up a TR by the end of this week. Thanks to everyone for your recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom