Broken Chevrolet Axle Left in Death Valley Backcountry

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We can all do better than this. Many people reported on a broken down Chevy Tahoe in Dedeckera Canyon, Death Valley National Park, including WTW member Lighthawk in his excellent Death Valley Trip report found here -

Death Valley

Various photos of the repair in progress were posted.

gallery_1902_252_97001.jpg

Unfortunately photos are surfacing of what was left behind.

gallery_1902_252_194951.jpg

Can this be true? Do people still do things like this? Will they return - looks like Utah plates - to remove the axle? Someone hauled a new one it, couldn't the broken one be hauled out?

I doubt they'll come back for it as you raise a great question. If they brought in a new one, why not take the old one out? Probably didn't want to wait but regardless, if the Park Service (probably not working yet) has their license plate, they can probably send them a bill for removal.

Looking at the pictures it is the same axle. It is just flipped over. Would be great if they would have figured a way to haul it out. After all they did haul it in. People don't surprise me anymore as to what they do or don't do. they might not had room for it and will return for it? Possible?

Hard to tell in the pick but we're they too lazy to even chuck it outta site over a cliff ? gee, kids these days ....

Plate looks clear enough to ID and the axle might be linkable to the vehicle. Improper disposal of a hazardous waste (diff oil) and in a NP ? I hope that still counts for something.

In this case, I wonder if social media's gonna bite ..

Would have been great to have taken away the old when the new was brought in,but
look around all the other cars/parts have been left in DV over say 100 years.
Not an excuse for leaving the axle though.
Sad it may well become part of the "artifacts" of DV.
Frank

It's difficult to believe that the driver wouldn't think that they could be linked to this event in an Instagram world. So they may well have a plan for removal.

And I don't know what the situation was with the personnel shut down etc in terms of notifying parks staff.

But if the intent is to return or arrange for pick up then the axle left at the side of the road (not down a slope) with a note on it would cut down on speculation. I've often thought about that when coming across an abandoned or crashed vehicle off highway. You have to check, just incase, and you're left hoping everything was ok.

klahanie said:
It's difficult to believe that the driver wouldn't think that they could be linked to this event in an Instagram world. So they may well have a plan for removal.

And I don't know what the situation was with the personnel shut down etc in terms of notifying parks staff.

But if the intent is to return or arrange for pick up then the axle left at the side of the road (not down a slope) with a note on it would cut down on speculation. I've often thought about that when coming across an abandoned or crashed vehicle off highway. You have to check, just incase, and you're left hoping everything was ok.
Well someone brought that spare axle in, so no excuse someone in their party couldn't take the broken one out. The Tahoe looks to have a nice sturdy roof rack on it, so I see no excuse whatsoever for not taking the garbage back out with them. Karma, and Facebook, and Instagram can be a mean b1tch......Ill bet they get outed at some point.

Many years ago we volunteered in a public area on the Az/Mx border that is a wilderness.

One task was backpacking broken car parts out of the desert after crashes.

Also used a sort of elk carry wheeled cart for the larger stuff.

The wilderness status prevented using the agencies' trucks.

Oh well.

David Graves

Well, leaving the old axle is better than leaving the whole truck I guess-but not not by much! They could have packed it out but now in so many years it becomes an "Historic Artifact" for some later visitor to wonder what the story behind it was. So ain't life weird ,!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
...but now in so many years it becomes an "Historic Artifact" for some later visitor to wonder what the story behind it was. So ain't life weird ,!
"Hmmm ... if they knew about the wheel, maybe he could be my Valentine ..."

latest

What makes us believe this was left behind? I see the picture of it laying on the ground, but no reference as to when that was relative to the repair or that it was left and not later retrieved.

Anyone?

Ace! said:
What makes us believe this was left behind? I see the picture of it laying on the ground, but no reference as to when that was relative to the repair or that it was left and not later retrieved.

Anyone?
Well, it was moved from beside the vehicle to a spot further away. I don't know why anyone would do that with an item they intended on packing into/onto their vehicle and taking it out.

There at least 2 vehicles and how many guys involved? Almost had to be a pickup that brought the new axle in. I bet there were 4-6 people involved. You find trash everywhere. Empty water bottles, cans, etc.

We packed our broken front axle out of DV, after Lawnmowerman helped me buy a new one last year. It was a heavy, greasy mess, but I strap taped it into the cardboard box from the new one and brought it home to recycle. Just saying!

I've got photos with their license plate, if needed.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
But...but..."Adventure is Necessary"
Any Overland Bound members recognize this vehicle?
I posted this on OB. We’ll see what happens. They place a high priority on trail etiquete.

Back
Top Bottom