Broken turnbuckle attachment

reflex99

I've been using my new to me '03 granby a lot recently and after arriving at my campsite this last trip, I noticed the camper was askew in the bed of the truck ('03 Ford F-250). Upon inspection of the turnbuckles, I noticed not a single one was attached. All were laying loose on the floor of the bed, expect one that was missing entirely. I have taken the jacks off, so I couldn't lift it out of the bed at the time. I replaced the 3 turnbuckles I could find and hand tightened them. When I did, I found one of the camper hook attachments had broken off. Just a broken stub was left in its place.

To be clear, this is the hook built in to the camper body that broke off. The turnbuckle was intact. I'm assuming that either or more of the turnbuckles were loose, giving the camper enough play during off road conditions to put too much stress on the hook and cause it to break off. As for the missing turnbuckle, well it could be hiding in the truck bed somewhere where I won't see it until I take the camper off, or it bounced out of the bed while off road.

So now I'm driving it with 3 turnbuckles attached and making sure to check them often for integrity. The camper is still a little askew in the bed but doesn't seem to affect anything... It doesn't appear to be moving more than it did when I first noticed it.

My question is what to do to replace that fourth attachment point on the camper. Like I said, it was a hook but it's not clear to me how it was built in to the wood frame of the camper. I'm sure it will be once I get the camper off the truck but I don't have access to the jacks right now so until I do, I can't get a good look at it from the underside, only from inside the camper and above the broken hook.

Also, I tried to do some research about this before posting and noticed this isn't entirely uncommon, the turnbuckles coming loose. I saw several people suggest replacing the original aluminum ones since there have been reports of failure, but besides that are there any suggestions for keeping them from loosening while driving? I do take the truck on some pretty rough road, but isn't that what an a four wheel camper is for? ;)

Thanks in advance,
John

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

John, FWC has gone to a new style camper side attachment. Do a google search on WTW for the topic 'broken FWC camper tie down', there are several threads on it. Lots of good info in them.

Yes, many of us have figured out why FWC improved the design.

I'd suggest taking it off and reinforcing it, not just replacing it.

I also took the opportunity to repaint and do some other repairs. Posted a thread on it here somewhere.

Remember, check those turnbuckles but don't overtighten.

Awesome info guys, thanks for sharing... I'll have a look through all of this and see which fix seem to fit best.

Thanks!

Reflex,

We have a '16 Hawk and I am very impressed with the design of the turnbuckle attachment hardware on the Hawk.

May have been suggested...but FWC would probably not only sell you these but would advise how to repair damage and to retro-fit them to your camper..

Scary situation! Keep us updated on your project. Good luck.

Phil

Again, thanks for the replies!

Seems like my situation is similar if not identical to the one that @brad's dad described happening to him. And there's a good fix listed in that thread so hopefully I'll be able to get that done here soon.

Thanks again for the references!

John

Hi all - I know you've all beat this one to death for years here on WTW, but just to provide another case study...we've just come back from a 2 week trip through NorCal and central OR, and found the plywood separating at both front eye bolts. We did a decent amount of dirt roads, some crawling around...all at low speed relatively. We saw some pretty rough wind action driving on I-5. I've been hand tightening and using a screw driver to do one turn per FWC manual for our 2005 Hawk. Sounds like I need to spend some time on WTW looking at how folks have dealt with this design flaw. Interesting engineering/design choice to rely on plywood for such a critical, high stress connection to the truck.

full

It is pretty easy to replace the eye nut on the camper base. Parts are available at most any hardware store.

Sometime you can even put the new eye nut in the camper while it is still on the truck (depending on what eye nut broke).

There are some easy ways to upgrade and strengthen them at the same time too.

1. Replace the "elevator bolt" with a Grade 8 bolt instead.

2. Install an aluminum or steel reinforcement plate on the top (inside the camper), and outside (if you want), optional.

Hope this helps for the moment.

For the past several years we have been installing tie downs on the base differently and with different brackets, so you can upgrade to those too if you want.

Feel free to call us if we can help with anything else.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Eye bolt and elevator bolt (2).jpg
    Eye bolt and elevator bolt (2).jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Eye Nut # 10.JPG
    Eye Nut # 10.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 323
Couple more pictures . . .

Attachments

• Eye Bolts Grade 8 Bolts.jpg
    Eye Bolts Grade 8 Bolts.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Eye Nut # 15.JPG
    Eye Nut # 15.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Eye Nut # 16.JPG
    Eye Nut # 16.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 154
Part 3

Attachments

• eye nut in camper base 2.jpg
    eye nut in camper base 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 198
  • eye nut in camper base.jpg
    eye nut in camper base.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 207
  • eye nut reinforcement plate outside.jpg
    eye nut reinforcement plate outside.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 225
WOW this is for those of you that may be like me... a "procrastinator". I recently returned from a 3 week trip of many different terrain types. I did not check my turnbuckles while on trip. Luckily I don't drive the truck/hawk while at home. Getting ready for another trip and figured I'd check turnbuckles for tightness. Two on driver side were a bit loose but less than one turn. Moved to passenger side and front one was loose almost 2 turns :( WORSE the back one is missing... yes missing? Looked on side best I could but do not even see it? I am heading to Fastenal right now to buy another and probably buy 2.

Am I doing something wrong besides not checking everyday while traveling? I have no idea how just one could come loose enough to fall off? It may have slid somewhere and I will find it later but it scares me :(

Please check yours and shout if I can do anything to prevent this? I will probably change to eyelet type and a carbiner type attachment the next time I have camper off the truck. At least then I won't loose it.

Easiest way to prevent loosening is to add a lock or jamb nut onto the turnbuckle. Remove the right hand threaded portion of the turnbuckle, thread a plain old nut onto it and reinstall. After the turnbuckle is properly tightened, tighten the jamb nut against the turnbuckle.

wuck said:
Easiest way to prevent loosening is to add a lock or jamb nut onto the turnbuckle. Remove the right hand threaded portion of the turnbuckle, thread a plain old nut onto it and reinstall. After the turnbuckle is properly tightened, tighten the jamb nut against the turnbuckle.

Mine are 3/8-16 nuts...had to chuckle...just bought 8 plus of these only to re-read this post and realize that one of the threaded hooks is left-handed thread...Duh! Oh well, I always need nuts.... :D

Two front turnbuckles were perhaps 1/2-1/4 turn loose and back ones were as installed..hopefully the addition of a jam nut to each turnbuckle will lock in the length.... '16 Hawk on an '05 Tundra AC/4wd.

Phil

I went to nylon wingnuts as lock nuts after reading someones recommendation here on the forum. They are easy to loosen and tighten by hand, don't feel a heavier grade metal fastener is needed to just hold the turnbuckle in place.

I have driven probably close to 50,000 miles using the nylon lock nuts, tightened them by hand after checking turnbuckle tension regularly and the nylon nuts have worked well. No problems of any sort and user friendly!

Only maintenance occasionally needed is to silicone spray the aluminum turnbuckles/threaded hooks so they turn freely.

Fred

I have used nylon wing nuts in the past but have ever only been able to find them with right hand threading. Were you able to find left hand threaded ones, and if so, where?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom