Brophy Stake Pocket Tie Downs - good idea?

Sun_Lover

We can't afford a FWC right now, and so have bought an inexpensive Palomino Bronco as a "starter". The man we're buying it from has welded brackets on the underside of his truck for the tie downs. But he told us (and we're novices at this) that we don't need Torklift for such a light camper. He said just to get these stake pocket tie downs for the front (we have a hitch at the back that we're going to get a bar attached to):

http://www.crbrophy.com/image/tdxxinst.jpg

Has anyone successfully used them? My husband thinks they must be OK or "they wouldn't sell them." I'm not leaning toward falling for that line of reasoning; they seem awfully minimalist for anchoring a whole camper.

Any experience tales would be appreciated!

Your camper should be anchored at all 4 corners and it would be highly recommended that you contact Palomino. There is no description with Brophy as to what those brackets are for. I don't believe they are designed to secure a camper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

There are two parts to the question. Besides whether the Brophy Stake pocket tie downs are strong enough, ask your truck manufacturer if the stake pockets can handle the expected forces caused by the camper when driving the worst roads you expect to travel.

Paul

I used a set on a 2002 f150 with a sub 1000lb camper. Even with a light camper it was starting to distort the pockets. I think they were an ok product when truck were made without gas mileage concerns.

Back
Top Bottom