Bug Screen for the front sliding window.

EdoHart

Grasshopper
I've thought of an idea for a screen for the front sliding window and will probably want it before a trip in August. Basically I'm thinking of velcro strips on all 4 sides of the interior side of the slider, with the matching piece of velcro sewn to heavy duty screen material (I already have that thanks to the dogs and my new back door at home) and some kind of backing. That is the screen material would be sandwiched between the velcro and the backing material/cloth. I don't have a sewing machine, but someone at work has offered to let me come over and use hers. Before I attempt (repeat attempt) to make one, has anyone seen a commercially offered product similar to what I'm attempting to describe? I have searched the internet to no avail.

I've considered screening the sliding window. I thought I would have a screen made (~$20?) and velcro it to the frame. I played with the idea of using velcro to hang just the screen material, but it seemed pretty flimsy.
I'll be interested how your idea works out.

I've thought about this as well. The access points for the tie downs also could use some screens. For the slider, I thought a piece of screening could be held in place by magnetic strips. I remember trying this once and I think the frame is metal....but I could be wrong.....

dave

screen

I just found an aluminum framed screen at a yard sale that was an inch or two larger than the window all the way around and screwed it to the outside of the camper.....works perfect. Probably cost all of a buck.
brian

The backed velcro is likely the way to go. The one problem could be the sticky side on the window frame might want to let go after some time in the heat or just from use. The magnetic screen is a good idea but the window frames are aluminium and are not magnetic (no iron). Let us know how the velcro works out.

Sat in the camper for a few minutes tonight.

I've decided what I really want is a bug screen boot between the cab and the camper so I can still get the cooling effect of having both windows open with the security of having the truck locked. This requires considerable thought. I may go for a simple screen like the one Brian described as a temporary solution. The camper side of the screen is relatively simple (nice flat, square surfaces), it's the truck side that requires further study.

curious to see what you guys come up with...seems like this would be a good option to offer from the factory...good luck!

boot

If you just want a boot between the cab and camper, you should be able to go to any decent size camping store and get the round boot that fits in the window openings. This provides a tunnel between the two and is easy to put it and take out.

A seperate boot and screen is a good idea

I may just get a boot for it. Found a few on the internet for a reasonable price. I have another idea for a boot made of screen material. It won't look too good because I'll want to leave slack for torquing between the camper and the cab, so it'll kind of hang when in camp. It'll also require fabricating a frame for both the truck and the camper and I have to think about that some more, especially how to attach it to the truck. The brain is whirring.

not sure if you are looking for something this fancy,

but we sell a front sliding window boot at the factory

foam core -- vinyl covered -- works OK -- needs to be removed from time to time to be cleaned so it doesn't scratch the paint on your truck cab

see link here ... http://www.fourwh.com/window_boot.htm

$ 86.00 + or -

I will probably contact you sometime regarding that boot

That looks like what I want in colder climates. What I have in mind should work for most of my warm weather camping (though to be honest, I will need to make screens for the trucks door windows, but that shouldn't be too difficult if I can build what I imagine for the boot). I never studied technical writing, so I won't try to describe it. I may post drawings and if I ever build the thing, of course I will post pictures.

i have one of those boots if you are interested in it...pretty much brand new. let me know.

Works on the house and the camper.

Attachments

• IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 246
Where did you get it?

The detail is hard see, but it looks similar to what I originally had in mind. Did you make it, or did you purchase it? If that latter, where may it be purchased?

Camping partner Rosemary is a genius. She has her own measuring tape and goes around measuring things. One night, she snaps screen OFF house ON to camper, fits fine. The sliding window on the camper is one foot high and width depends on how far you slide open the windows. What is the height or your sliding window? When opened, there is a groove for snapping in a screen.

If you don't have a screen the right size to snap in, there are DIY screen kits available from places like Home Despot to make your own custom sizes, all the way up to screen doors.

I know from having a topper shell on my pickup that it is sometimes quite useful to be able to open a screen from both sides.

that window screen idea is great, used to have a bunch of those sitting around but left them at a previous house i was renting. nice work! sometimes i see them at garge sales for cheap, i'll keep my eyes open and pic up some extras if they come up...i have always wondered if those windo fans would fit in there too????

Back
Top Bottom