Bugs

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Okay guys, bugs, creepy crawlers,and flying things are all part of the "camping" experience-right! And we all have had those days when we camped in places where the mayflies, mosquitoes, no-see-ums, bees or what ever were hatching, mating and are about in unusual numbers----and we all have left screen door open and they invaded the camper. So the rest of the day/night is spent killing, smashing, spraying or trying to get rid on the little buggers (white out works for painting over the bodies on the ceiling when you are done). Well here is my latest bug adventure.

I just got back from Eagle Lake (NE California), a place that can be very buggy at certain times of the year and they were out -not in bad numbers, and not really to hostile for human or dog. The weather was hot for this time of the year (in the 80's) and and cold front (supposed to be about 10-20 degrees below normal-with rain and cold nights) was due in at the end of the week-another words some more of the weird weather we have had for the last year or so . Nice day to hike and play with the dog in the lake a and sit and read or what ever-just enjoy life.

After dinner, its' getting dark, so time to get in the camper lay back on the couch , turn on the lights or lanterns and read for a while before I hit the sack. As I'm reading, I start to notice little flying things landing on and starting to crawl around on my reading lamps, and on the pages of my book. A few swats and they go away then they come back in greater numbers, they don't seem to bite and once in a while they get in my ear-they are more a bother than a problem like no-see-ums/mosquitoes are. They sort of look like small white grains of rice with wings ( something like maggots) and they are real easy to kill-just sit there and be smashed. I keep reading and more of the dang things keep landing here and there and getting in the way --- I give up and crawl up into my bunk!

I crawl in my sleeping bag and continue to read and the bugs follow me up and now they are on the ceiling too! This is getting ridiculous, so I start smashing the ones on the ceiling with my book and the ones on the lanterns and bunk with my hand---the dang things seem to be hatching for something so I get up and get out the bug spray and go to it---and again they are easy to kill. wait a minute here-where am I to sleep now with bug spay over thing, so I get a bottle of febreze fabric cleaner, open the windows and finish up. I check the bunk and the back board, sleeping mat and ceiling and kill several more groups of these things-they seem to be hatching! After a while a crawl back on my bunk and don,t see any live bugs just their bodies. I clean things up and I turn off the light, and wait -no bugs so finally I go to sleep.

Next two nights-no bugs, but see a few outside-none inside. Night three, they are back, it almost seems like a sci-fy movie, so I spend the next hour killing them with my febreze (I'm in luck though- have two cans of the stuff and a can of 409) --it almost seems they they are hatching in the space between the fabric and the ceiling and crawling out to go find so light and mate or something. I'm an expert at this now, so I kill them all, read for a while and go to sleep. In a the morning there are a whole bunch of these things on the in side of the windows.

Conclusions: Don't know, I didn't want to kill these things, but what are you supposed to do! So just carry something like febreze or 409 cleaner so you don't have to use bug spray in the camper and really ruin the night. You just can't sit in your camper all day and hide from the bugs. I know I'm going to get my cook wear and things like that out of the camper and attack it with bug spray and really try to fumigate it in case there are a few nests of them still in there. So what do you guys do to deal with these unplanned for situations? Any similar stories? I guess this is just another WTW adventure!

Smoke

Never had that happen. Usually its just flies, bees and mosquitoes in reasonable numbers. I did not know you can use febreeze as a bug killer. I know 409 works great on ants.

Smoke, first thing we need to identify exactly the flying critter you are dealing with. Find an intact carcass in your camper and enjoy a little research on the web. Let us know what you find. I'd like to know if you find they were actually hatching inside your camper. Once you get an ID, then we can look at their life cycle.

The description you give of the little buggers don't sound like any trout fly I have tied.

What did Bob think or say about the winged wonders?

Only bugs that really bothered us a couple of times was noseeums.

Smokecreek1 said:
...So what do you guys do to deal with these unplanned for situations? Any similar stories? I guess this is just another WTW adventure!
We'd prob take off or move the camper. Maybe you were in the flight path ? Never experienced anything like what you describe tho. We get no-see-ums thru the side screens which we usually just put up with. Anything bigger we use one of those (tennis) racket bug zappers.

Interested also if you ID the ufo's

I had the top up in my driveway for a few days before I left for the lake-no bugs then. I've seen these things before both inside and outside of the camper-but never in the numbers I experienced this time-that makes me think that I experienced some type of mass hatching/swarming ( maybe triggered by the strange weather conditions ) like you see with mayflies and somehow-somewhere some got in my camper and laid some eggs (?) and they hatched inside. Who knows, I do allot of camping in lots of places and I may have picked up some while I was out and about-but again they were outside too-but not in swarming numbers. Well at least they were not bitters-then that would have been a different situation and I would have moved. Ski-I'll look at remains and see if I can key them out later.

Smoke

I take a clear baggie, cut it into a square the size of one of the ceiling lights in the camper. Tape it on with painters tape on two edges and paint on a layer of Tangle-Trap. Leave the light on and turn off the rest and the bugs get stuck.
6e847de5-083c-47ed-9114-f731e24ae98f_1000.jpg

I have also used this stuff on a clear disposable plastic cup upside down, layer the outside after putting a little pen light under it. Amazing stuff, just down get it on your hands.

I also use a lint roller to collect all the no-see'ems from the ceiling. Peal off a layer when it gets too full and keep rolling.

If you determined they got into the camper out in the boondocks and not in your yard....when you get home, put a large lantern or droplight just outside of the back door and leave it ON and the screen door OPEN until you go to bed. They will be attracted to THAT light and exit the camper, especially if you had a tarp to put over the camper so no ambient light from streetlights or your house could shine inside. Leave the other windows and vents CLOSED.

Adding some sticky traps near that droplight or light source will help also. By 11:00pm they should have all migrated to the light source and you can button up the camper for the night and turn off the light. In the morning you can check the sticky traps to see if you caught the type of insects that were in the camper. Hopefully no skunks or vermin tried to set up camp in the camper, but something blocking the lower half of the doorway would be a good idea to prevent that.

Trout1 Project said:
I take a clear baggie, cut it into a square the size of one of the ceiling lights in the camper. Tape it on with painters tape on two edges and paint on a layer of Tangle-Trap. Leave the light on and turn off the rest and the bugs get stuck.
attachicon.gif
6e847de5-083c-47ed-9114-f731e24ae98f_1000.jpg

I have also used this stuff on a clear disposable plastic cup upside down, layer the outside after putting a little pen light under it. Amazing stuff, just down get it on your hands.

I also use a lint roller to collect all the no-see'ems from the ceiling. Peal off a layer when it gets too full and keep rolling.
just added this stuff to the pack list....that's a brilliant idea....(light bulb brilliant)

This spring we took the Subaru Forster to Pyramid Lake several times to photograph nesting grebes. Where we parked there was all ways large swarms of midges. Killed of all that we found in the car. The other morning we took the car out of the garage and on the dash was about 50 midge carcasses. Apparently they had hatched and died.

Back
Top Bottom