Bullseye Lake, Modoc County, CA

Roger

I just returned from my 3 nighter in at Bullseye Lake. I have to say it was pretty epic. We left the SF Bay Area at about 10 and arrived at 4 with a couple of pit stops for the kids.

If you want to go to Medicine Lake and don't want the crowds, this is an excellent alternative. There is another campsite at a nearby lake (less then a half mile away) the provides similar accomodations, but not the fishing.

When we arrived we were met by the FS Ranger who issued us a fire permit so we could make a fire and thus 'smores.

Since Bullseye is a "dry" campsite there was no fee; there was vault toilet centrally located.

I would say all of the campsites were pretty level, we stayed near the "boat launch" and fished right next to it.

The fish were smaller 8-12 inch, but what they lacked in size they made up for in quantity. We came home with 14, we ate one on site. The fish a are a mix of rainbrow and german brown; most like to fight! The kids had a blast fishing, caving, swimming, and just enjoying the peace a quiet.

We were the only residence at the camp the first night and were joined by a group a boy scouts in a site about 100 yards away. I would say all of the sites are level, widely sited and primitive. You get a table and a fire pit.

You can collect wood on site, bring your on water.

Did I mention Free? Oh yeah that is a great price. Open from snow melt to snow fall. (May to October?)

Lava Beds National Monument is 40 minutes away via the dirt road or the paved route.

The only negative was the ash "snow" that covered everything

Attachments

• bulls eye smaller.jpg
    bulls eye smaller.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 147
Seems like a nice zone to explore. Spent some time near Shasta and some time in the Warner's but never in between. Adding it to the ever growing list...

Back
Top Bottom