Burned Out Solar Charge Controller

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Maybe this belongs in the Done something really stupid thread...except that I got away with the seemingly stupid behavior for a full year before it caught up with me. :rolleyes:
This happened on my current trip to the eastern Sierra (I'm still out there), after I got a hole punched in the side of my camper by a tree branch and after I got my tire sidewall sliced by a sharp rock. Yes, really -- all on the same trip!

A year ago, just before my 2012 October eastern Sierra trip I installed two 120-watt solar panels on the roof of my camper, hooked together in series, and because of the high voltage produced in series -- over 30 volts -- I needed/wanted to use an MPPT controller, and I already had one anyway, a Solar Converters Model PT 12/24 - 10TC, for my free-standing panel. The "10" in the model name means 10 amp output capacity. Well, these two panels each can produce 7 amps at 17 volts (under ideal conditions) and after the MPPT does it's magic the combined amperage could be as high as 20 amps (theoretically under ideal-for-MPPT conditions). So I bought a second MPPT controller like the one I already had, thinking that I could use them in parallel to handle the power.
But when I wired them that way I found that it didn't work.
So I decided to gamble on the fact that the solar panels will never put out their theoretical capacity since they're horizontal and I never camp on the equator at noon. And I figured that the "10 amp" capacity was a conservative rating and that it might handle a little over 10 amps without harm.

Well, it worked fine for the past year (as far as I could tell), even when the output amperage was 11 or 12 amps...until late this morning. It was very sunny and yet cold -- ideal conditions for solar panel power. I happened to look at the charge controller and the "charging" light was not lit AND the "full" light was not lit, and the "watts up" meter downstream showed that it was getting nothing from the controller -- it was dead. But the "corpse" was still warm -- in fact it was very hot...which I figure wasn't a good sign. I checked the connections and they seemed fine, and I stuck the leads of a voltmeter on the wires from the panels and it read about 40 volts (which is about what the "open circuit" voltage should be for the two panels in-series)...so there wasn't a problem upstream from the controller.

I figure that the high power being fed the controller today -- after probably other times like today -- was more than it could stand. R.I.P.

So I guess I'll order a new charge controller -- one rated for a least 20 amps, as I should have done when I put the 240-watt solar system together. :rolleyes:

And I think I'll cut my trip short by a few days, start heading home. With 3 gear-incidents in one trip, I think the universe is trying to tell me something. :cautious:
(even though, technically, all of the incidents were my own fault... ;) )

Wow, Mark, rough trip you are having. sorry to hear you are cutting it short. At least my Italian chef friend says your walnut pie was awesome!

Ted said:
Wow, Mark, rough trip you are having. sorry to hear you are cutting it short. At least my Italian chef friend says your walnut pie was awesome!
And I know two friends of the Italian chef who said it was the best walnut pie they ever had! Travel safe!

That walnut pie was very good and hit the spot. Yum! You already have your three occurrences, now it is time to relax and enjoy where you are.

5 Years ago in Colorado I had picked up a upper GI virus and spent the night in a old style pit toilet near the Moron Bells. Then heading to a friends house to recover, we hit and drove over a 500 pound cow elk. We still managed to have a good time after that.

Be safe guy, three wierd things in a row, you must be due for something good by now. Get a new one Mark, my new controller for my new set up got hot too, but that was because I had not connected it up right. Maybe :ninja: you better find a place and hide for a while and wait for the gods to give you a positive sign or two--or just as someone said, enjoy it out there.

Smoke

Thanks, guys. :)
Really, other than the electro-mechanical-rubber problems, the trip has been fine.
I enjoyed the social aspects (for the three days I had that), I've enjoyed the mostly-fantastic weather (including the light-snow morning), and, from the time 7 days ago when I neared the crest of the Sierras on 88, I've enjoyed the world-class scenery!

I'll spend at least one more night out, maybe two, then take Sonora Pass west over the mountains. Last time I was on the west side of Sonora Pass I was a little kid camping with my parents, catching trout (on Pautzke Balls O' Fire) on the Clark Fork River.

OK, so I got smart and just-now (still at the scene of the accident :p) ordered a charge controller I should have bought a year ago:
Blue Sky Solar Boost 2512iX-HV MPPT 25-amp capacity and an input-voltage capacity high enough to handle two panels in series.
I also ordered the battery-temperature compensation sensor accessory.
I'm glad I shopped around: These guys -- AM Solar -- had a competitive price and have free shipping (on this $ize order) and they're in Oregon!

2512ix-hv.png

An update to this story:
Yesterday I finally got around to de-installing the old "burned out" charge controller in preparation for installing the Blue Sky controller shown above. I removed the back of the old charger, thinking that I might remove its guts and use the carcass box as a holder for a switch or two (like, maybe a switch to disable the solar input and maybe a switch to cut power to my DC fridge).

What did I see inside when I removed the back? A 15 amp fuse -- burned out! :eek:
I hadn't realized/considered that there could be an internal fuse...I just assumed that the unit was dead. But it seems likely now that it was not dead but just in a fuse-induced coma. :rolleyes:
I haven't yet tried replacing the fuse and firing it up to see if it comes back to life...but I bet it would.

Oh well -- I'll still use the bigger-capacity Blue Sky controller, since it's correctly sized for my solar input.
But it looks like I now have a working Solar Converters Model PT 12/24 - 10TC (10 amp capacity) MPPT charge controller -- available if anyone is interested in it. I'd probably let it go for a very low price.
Oh yeah, just remembered: I do have another -- almost new -- identical PT 1224 -10TC, too -- the one I bought when I thought I could run the two controllers in parallel. If anyone is interested in one or both of these, send me a message. :)

An UPDATE to the update:
I replaced the burned-out fuse in the "dead" charge controller, and it still seems to be dead. :(
At least, the "Charge" light doesn't come on when connected to the feed from my solar panels...

I may gut the box and use it as a host for a switch or two -- like, to cut the power to my DC compressor fridge when I want leave the door open to air it out (the fridge is on a dedicated line from the battery AND the light inside still comes on even when the fridge power switch is off) and/or to cut the incoming line from the solar panels.

Back
Top Bottom