Burning Man returns to the Black Rock Desert

Foy

Resident Geologist
For the first time since 2019, tens of thousands of visitors have gathered on the playa outside of Gerlach, NV for Burning Man. The live stream cams are by and large working 24/7 so one can tune in and get a sense of the action without getting all of that pesky playa dust in one's knickers. One can also tune in while keeping one's $480 for an admission ticket in one's checking account.

I'm a pretty steady "to each their own" when it comes to travel and entertainment, but not even the unparalleled people-watching opportunities would get out onto the playa during Burning Man.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of decades as the largely California-based attendees run short of gasoline powered vehicles and generators!

Foy

Foy said:
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of decades as the largely California-based attendees run short of gasoline powered vehicles and generators!

Foy
Lots of sun this year for solar panel generation. :)

It will be dangerously hot this year - Point Weather Forecast - but a few degrees cooler than California's Central Valley.
Also, saw burners gassing up in Lakeview, Oregon heading out. Quite merry folks. :)

My ultimate disappointment is with the agency that allows "recreation" of this scale.

David Graves

Wandering Sagebrush said:
What a coincidence, we don’t go either.
Likewise. My brother went a couple of times, which reduced our interest from zero to less than that.

Let's spend a lot of time and money in order to camp with about 80,000 other people on a dry lake bed in the desert with no shade and caustic dust - or not.

The "Burners" tend to avoid Mono County ever since 2013 when there was a CHP checkpoint in Bridgeport. In spite of the controversy that event ignited I heard there was another checkpoint this year.

I caught some "burners" trying to break into my car in Lee Vining one year (a window part way down, they set off the alarm and I was only a few yards away). Two shirtless dudes casually leaning against their dust caked van said "Hi, How ya doin?"while their buddy was vaulting over the sagebrush down the hill. I had a few choice words with them which I will not repeat here. They left immediately.

I am somewhat fascinated by the creativity and the effort put into the "art" but I despise Electronic Dance Music and large groups of people. But I do enjoy viewing the webcam periodically during the event - I mean - where else can you see someone driving across the desert in a giant rubber ducky?

DavidGraves said:
My ultimate disappointment is with the agency that allows "recreation" of this scale.

David Graves
I dated a BLM employee (and devout desert rat) According to him the BLM has little choice in the matter. The event brings huge sums of money to the region.

-an aside - the above mentioned individual told me stories of playing car polo (or was it croquet?) with some kind of huge ball but I think that may have been on Smoke Creek rather than Blackrock.

BobM said:
you know you are a geezer when the only people you shared your childhood idiocy with were your closest friends
and now we have youtube and other social media where you can be an idiot and share it with the world!

sorry bout the slide whistle sweetie -

(for the record - I did not watch it - 22 minutes? I have a floor to sweep - or something)

I am disappointed that the webcam is not coming through
and then I see the label says BM Broadcast and I think - yeah - no

teledork said:
you know you are a geezer when the only people you shared your childhood idiocy with were your closest friends
and now we have youtube and other social media where you can be an idiot and share it with the world!

sorry bout the slide whistle sweetie -

(for the record - I did not watch it - 22 minutes? I have a floor to sweep - or something)
Thanks for the reminder. I have a shower and toilet to scrub.

Julie and I refer to the YouTube celebrity as Jabberhussey. My god can she jabber on and on. The fast forward button is a gift from god.

Mostly I agree but I will also be a slight contrarian. We call her GlitterGirl, by the way. If you are willing to sort through an enormous amount of chaff, she does throw out the occasional kernel of useful information. She should get some creds, after all, for going out alone and putting her tires on dirt and rock in some remote places -- and she does it a heck of a lot. I occasionally look at some of her vids on fast forward and mute until something pops up that is interesting, such as a great hot spring or a fine campsite. Unlike some others, she does not include GPS coordinates. And often intentionally obscures a locality. After seeing something potentially valuable, I do some detective work (involving much sifting of her and others' chaff) to get at those bits of interest. This is more of a winter-time activity.

AWG_Pics said:
Mostly I agree but I will also be a slight contrarian. We call her GlitterGirl, by the way. If you are willing to sort through an enormous amount of chaff, she does throw out the occasional kernel of useful information. She should get some creds, after all, for going out alone and putting her tires on dirt and rock in some remote places -- and she does it a heck of a lot. I occasionally look at some of her vids on fast forward and mute until something pops up that is interesting, such as a great hot spring or a fine campsite. Unlike some others, she does not include GPS coordinates. And often intentionally obscures a locality. After seeing something potentially valuable, I do some detective work (involving much sifting of her and others' chaff) to get at those bits of interest. This is more of a winter-time activity.

Very true, thanks for looking on the bright side. We should all do that more often. :)

ski3pin said:
Very true, thanks for looking on the bright side. We should all do that more often. :)
Thanks! Sometimes I am a saint, and sometimes I am a devil. Just depends on... I don't know... something, I am sure!

"Unlike some others, she does not include GPS coordinates. And often intentionally obscures a locality."

IMO posting up media of a location at the same time you are trying to conceal the location from other people reeks of a "neener, neener" kind of attitude that is really, really distasteful to me.

I haven't posted a single trip report on this site because I cherish the places, the internet is wide open to anyone and I don't need to brag about what I know but won't tell.

(I also spend many of my camper nights in snow covered parking lots which are not very interesting - I'm there to ski, not to show everyone how special I think I am)

Reno yesterday came home and there was many people inside the airport with plenty of playa dust on luggage bags. Even some people did not bother cleaning up. At the baggage claim area some benches were coated with Playa dust while others benches dusty white coated people sleeping on the benches. But it does bring into the areas a tremendous revenue boost.

I enjoy watching a bit of the activity at night but that's about it. Kind of surprised I didn't see any burners while I was out.

We saw thousands of them enroute home the last two days - Monday and Tuesday - heading south on 395. The carwash in Bridgeport was a popular stop for many with larger rigs.

My plan to avoid the Labor Day crowds also worked to avoid the burners. Hadn't planned on that but its a nice bonus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom