Bush winch?

I've seen that done as a capstan winch as well, which I suspect might give an experienced user more control.

That's a cool idea. When I've been stuck, it didn't take much to get me past the problem area but you do need an anchor point nearby and that could be a different piece of hardware (same as with a winch).

I think at that price though, some lower end winches are an option too.

Anyone ever use those "come alongs"?

I've been thinking to re-cable a Warn M8 with 1/4" Amsteel Blue because I could spool a lot more length onto the drum by going with the smaller size synthetic cable.

I also just recalled the story of a friend who killed his battery in a remote place and and used a rope wrapped around a wheel (bead popped off the spare) to "pull-start" his 22RE.

For that kind of money you could buy a low-end electric winch which is far more versatile. The synthetic line is amazing stuff and much safer. It came out of the maritime industry.

Well as it a neat idea what I see is.
1) if your wheel is not in line with the object you anchor to,what happens to the line.
2) open differential will send power to the wheel which offers the least resistance, so if other wheel starts to spin you loose any movement from this type winch.
3) where you going to keep it.
4) http://www.smittybilt.com/gen2_winches.html

Hard to beat a real winch that is,how often do you need a winch. Are you going drive less cautiously with a winch, because now you can get unstuck? The Edsel was a neat car I saw one today.
Russ

These things have been around for years in one form or another. I remember ads in the 4x4 mags back in the 70's. They work but so does a big "Come-along" if you need something that can be stored.

I'll personally take a real winch. Mine works in any 2" receiver that has the wiring near to run it.

They were actually using a similar device in the Jack Pine races back in the 30s. Nice, simple, light weight alternative to a winch, but only a small part of a "complete" recovery kit. This alone will not be adequate in all situations anymore than electric or hydraulic winch would.

Vic Harder said:
is it just me? that "string" can't do much vs a proper 3" strap and a good winch?
According to the link - "The winch rope used is 12 strand 5mm Dynice 75 with a breaking strain of 3200kg (7054 lbs lbs)"

CougarCouple said:
Well as it a neat idea what I see is.
1) if your wheel is not in line with the object you anchor to,what happens to the line.
2) open differential will send power to the wheel which offers the least resistance, so if other wheel starts to spin you loose any movement from this type winch.
3) where you going to keep it.
4) http://www.smittybilt.com/gen2_winches.html

Hard to beat a real winch that is,how often do you need a winch. Are you going drive less cautiously with a winch, because now you can get unstuck? The Edsel was a neat car I saw one today.
Russ
Check out the video in the link. They also have an attachment for the front wheel to keep the line straight. Not sure how to deal with #2, but it is a good point. One advantage of this over a winch is you can also use it to move in reverse. A winch is permanently mounted on the front of the vehicle.

This isn't the answer for every situation, but it looks like it could be handy. The price is the deal-breaker for me.

Back
Top Bottom