Buy Spare Shurflo Pump in order to fill freshwater tank?

dasadab

Advanced Member
Hi Folks,
Just spent a few nights out in our new Hawk. Love it!

I have read many threads about transferring water to while boon docking. When using a hose is not an option, I like the idea of using a 12v pump. So, it makes sense to me to explore getting the same pump that is in the Hawk because that would give me a spare. FWC lists the pump as Shurflo:

OEM: 4009-101-A32 AFTERMARKET: 4009-101-B32

Has anyone explored getting a spare Shurflo in order to transfer water and to have a spare. We are planning some long trips and having a spare pump that can serve to transfer water from a container into the camper seems like a good concept.

Thanks a lot.

Seems like a workable solution to me, but I suspect that you won't need to use it that often. If you're on the move a lot, chances are you'll be near a fresh water supply.

Other things to consider are devices like a 'water thief' and a pipe thread to hose thread adapter for the farm/cold climate hose bibs where the hose adapters are missing. Maybe $15 for the two.

We've done the pot & pan brigade with our old Westfalia when no hose was available. I did carry a big funnel.

If you do travel, get one of those rubber adapters that will fit non-threaded hose bibs common in campground, so you can use your hose. We're able to fit a 25' x 1/2" food grade hose in our propane compartment. It takes a bit of work, but the coil can be milked into and around the big 20# bottle.

Lighthawk said:
We've done the pot & pan brigade with our old Westfalia when no hose was available. I did carry a big funnel.

If you do travel, get one of those rubber adapters that will fit non-threaded hose bibs common in campground, so you can use your hose. We're able to fit a 25' x 1/2" food grade hose in our propane compartment. It takes a bit of work, but the coil can be milked into and around the big 20# bottle.
The rubber adapter that Lighthawk is referring to is the 'Water Thief' that I mentioned. Here's a link... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-thief/4690

A stainless clamp helps, too.

Keep in mind that the Shurflo pump is designed to provide water under pressure to the faucets and run intermittently for short times..The water thief above helps move potable water under pressure with a non-matching faucet to the camper tank.

The application suggested by dasadab using the Shurflo is a water transfer pump to move water not under pressure in one container into another container not under pressure. That is more like a bilge pump in operation than a pump to provide pressurized water

If your intent is to create safe potable water from a questionable source like a lake or stream, use a bilge pump like those by Rule to pump water into a 5 gallon bucket with a Sawyer filter that is elevated enough to allow gravity to push the water through the filter into a clean water container. If you pump up to the filter bucket on the roof rack the clean water can drain into the camper tank. Or put on a picnic table and drain into a clean water container. Probably need to filter only about 5 gal or so to get you by until you get to a source of potable water.

Paul

I carry a 2 1/2 gallon Reliance collapsible water container and a short hose to go on the spout. Fill it at any faucet or stream and then fill the camper. I also carry a Sawyer mini filter that can be added in the hose to supply safe drinking water to the tank. These containers work as backup grey water tanks too. Happy New Year, Bigfoot Dave

I designed my shower system using a separate under sink pump plumbed via quick connects to both the inside and outside of the camper. I normally draw water from a collapsible bucket of stream water to conserve my onboard fresh water but I can draw from either. The good part is that I can pump from the bucket of stream water through a ceramic filter and fill my onboard fresh water supply as well. Not fast, about 1 gallon/minute, but works.

cwd

I don't make a big deal about this and keep it simple :D because I have had to fill the tank when in the boonies (20 gals goes fast) many times. Me-I'm like Big Foot Dave, except I use my spare 61/2 gal water can/with spout. I just fill it up half way-to heavy to lift at 6 lbs, hoist it up on my shoulder and pour it in using the spout :p ! I do carry a hose/with connection if i find a rv type water source/faucet and go from there. One thing to always watch, especially if you have a hot water heater is the water level-start to look for a water source at 1/3 full, you don't want to melt things.

Smoke

Thanks. Maybe the Shurflo idea adds unnecessary complexity. Last week, we were not near any hose bibs that we had access to for several days. I tried to pour 4-5 gallons from a collapsable container through a water bottle that I cut in half as an improvised funnel. The result was failure, unless you count the entertainment value of me pouring half the water on myself. The improvised funnel was not effective because I needed a longer spout. I also tried hefting the water on the roof and using a hose as a siphon. I succeeded in putting a dimple in the roof, which "oil canned" away, but I learned that 40lbs of water and the roof don't mix.

I also dried using my 10 liter MSR soft water bag, but the water flow rate was super slow.

I have tried to find a food safe funnel with a long spout on Amazon, and ordered a collapsable silicone one that is in transit.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I am going to avoid the complexity of another Shurflo pump and try and refine "old school" a bit more. Basically, I need to come up with a container that I can heft and fill with a long enough spout with a fast flow rate or get a large mouthed, long stemmed funnel.

I like the idea of combining things with a filter, as well.

Thanks.

Okay, I use one of the blue 6 gal Igloo water plastic cans/ spout you can buy at Ace hardware. I too have tried lot's of devices to fill that tank and at least I can fill it with this ---good luck!

Smoke

I bought a 12v transfer pump from Harbor Freight that has battery terminal clips. I'm on the road right now so I don't have the model handy but it was inexpensive. I just connect to truck battery and run a standard hose to the camper. I also carry a short hose that goes into the jerry can. I've never timed it but it empties a 5 gallon can pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom