Buying and registering a truck in Mexico

BlueRidge

Advanced Member
I want to spend part of the year in Mexico, and part of the year in the US, traveling and using a truck camper.

Mexico has new mid-sized trucks with diesel engines, that do not have DEF and emissions that the US trucks have. Models that are not available in the US. Great gas mileage without the US emissions crap attached - and you can get a manual transmission too.

Is it legal to purchase and register a truck in Mexico (as a US citizen), operate the truck in Mexico for part of the year. Then drive it into the US and operate it for several months, with the intent to return to Mexico?

Wasn't NAFTA all about free trade?

Interesting idea, BlueRidge. Wish I had an answer for you. For our recent trip to Baja I got a lot of my information from the Baja Nomads forum. You may want to look there or find a forum more general to all of Mexico and not focused on Baja. I wonder if you could get a Hilux in Mexico, drive it into the US. and have an ATC or FWC installed, and then go back to Mexico. A Hilux would be so much better of a platform, it sure would be a great way to go.

Ted,

My thoughts exactly Ted. I have used, overseas, a diesel Hilux and a diesel "World Truck", Ford's mid-sized version of the Ranger they sell everywhere except in the US. Both are perfect for an FWC or ATC. Lots of torque, and 28-30 mpg. I don't know the Hilux's payload, but the Ford was approved for 2350 lbs., stock. Just what I would need.

My understanding of the Mexican laws are I'd have to return the truck to Mexico at least once a year - which I would do anyway. But I thought someone here might have already charted this course.

Good idea, I'll search for an RV site that focusses on Mexican travel, or an expatriate site that offers "living in Mexico" advise, surely buying a car would be a topic.

Back
Top Bottom