Buying New Tires

Ramblinman

Hello,

I am looking for new all terrain tires. I am hoping that members here might chime in. I would appreciate any opinions. What have you had success with? What have you had problems with?

Tires will be going on a 98 Chev Sliverado - Z-71 with a FWC Hawk.

I am looking for a tire with the following attributes in order of priority:

1. Good on Snow and Ice - (It will see some mud but way more snow)
2. Strong walled tire with an "E" Rating (Want to avoid flats)
3. Quiet on the Highway
4. Reasonable tread wear.

Thanks!

Yokohama Geolander AT-S

I like mine and they seem to be wearing very well.

My 'tire guy' can put anything he wants on his truck and he runs them so they must not be too bad.

Same for me on the Geolander. I have a set on my 05 2500HD and really like them. mine are not an E, they are D rated but have not had any problem with heavy loads or hauling the Hawk. Great traction, not many miles on them yet but friends have gotten 40,000 plus on them.

BF Goodrich All Terrains have been very good to me. E rated and tough as nails (or tougher maybe). They are extremely good on snow and ice too. I got about 40,000 out of mine and now need a new set. Not bad for a truck with a full time built on camper on it for the last year. I absolutely love this tire on the highway too. Pretty quite.

my 2 cents.

Firestone Destination AT have been good for me, on a second set. Highly rated on Tire Rack, bought mine locally. Low noise, decent life, not sure about snow as I don't do much of that.

I'm partial to the TOYO brand. Their AT is the all terrain model. I have AT's on our Ford Explorer and they do well. I have M-55's on our pickup which are full on mud and snow 10 ply tires and work well also. On the explorer I've gotten 40 some thousand on the last set of AT's. I am highly confident they are available in the full range of load ratings and probably pinned for studs too. While I don't buy studded tires I do lots of snow driving and the AT's do well. Where I live it's 4200ft. elevation and above so we drive on snow from mid December to late February so that snow driving theory gets tested regularly. I would avoid the MT model. I have them on my work truck. They are awesome for traction and toughness in the rocks, but on a 3/4 ton truck I only get 30,000 on them. Maybe a little less.

Good luck in your search.

3-in-a-row.... It's Toyo and only Toyo here.

Goodyear (2x)....Goodrich...Michelin.... 25K MAX. Worn out and not safe to drive on.

Toyo A/T 6ply....40K + and still had good tread...just not good enough for another Rocky mtn. winter. On my second set now....(these are 10 ply)

bought em off the Net and saved $175 over buying them at my usual shop where they >wouldn't< give me a discount.....the fookin' idiots.

happy trails....

mtn

Toyo Open Country A/T E-Rated

Just perfect truck tires for a camper owner. Should be oem. Minus the bumpy ride ;) They last forever, tough as nails, and ride nicely and silently. Limited traction in deep mud, but have run in winter in Alaska and BC without issue. Though I do use chains here due to the ice, but snow traction is top notch.

**Edit - that's 4 in a row for these. 'Nuff said.

:LOL:

First off, I've always bought Big" O" stuff-like my dad before me , always liked the service and you can find them anywhere! You know for years I used Big foot A/T(F/G) heavy side walled rock tires like the type I used on my Gov't rig for my own F150 , and would bounce down the roads-but I could go anywhere. Well this year I went in and they cost like $900-1000, instead of the usual $7-800-when I was working I could afford it, but I'm retired, and that extra $2-400, sort of put a dent in my retirement check. So since I've been going there for so long, they suggested that I try some A/T LT245/75R16 M/S (E) instead of my go anywhere tires and you know what, I don't bounce down the HW's anymore, and I just drive a bit more careful in the back country, in fact since I retired, I noticed that unless I have a good reason to bounce somewhere, like spend more time on the typical washboard gravel road or paved hw than on those real bad 4 x4 roads. I must be getting old, don't like to bounce much anymore, you never can tell and I still feel the need some times for getting a extra spare and then finding a place to mount it!

Smoke

I'll 2nd Gormley Green. I just got a set of Toyo Open Country A/T Load Range E, 10 ply on my F-150 XLT 4x4. I got a tad larger tho, from 265/70-17(stock) to 285/70-17 and love them!

I'll 2nd Gormley Green. I just got a set of Toyo Open Country A/T Load Range E, 10 ply on my F-150 XLT 4x4. I got a tad larger tho, from 265/70-17(stock) to 285/70-17 and love them!

My FX4 came with 18's :(

Good timing on this thread.

:)

I just picked up a "new to me" truck this week.

It really needs tires, so I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the extra $$.

Planning on keeping the truck for a long time, so I think it will be a wise investment.

Going with a set of the Toyo Open Country A/T.

We had these on one of the Dodge trucks here at work and they lasted forever !

Thanks for posting guys.

It was the reminder I needed to actually remember what tires we were running before.

I didn't pay much attention at the time since it was just a work truck.

:)

I also need new tires soon. I've been running BFG AT's for years but ready for something new. Does anyone make a D rated tire in a 31/10.5/15 size? All I see are C rated. Or is that fine for my Tacoma/Eagle combo?

Back
Top Bottom