Cab over air foil attachment methods

Thekidntheturk

Hey everybody!
I've done quite a bit of reading on the use of home made air foils for the purpose of bug deflection and possibly a slight mpg improvement. My question is; Has anybody attached one without drilling holes? (Double sided tape, automotive tape, any adhesives) I see several use pre-existing screws for their projects but my FWC Grandby does not have any screws underneath the cab-over and I'd rather not drill/screw into it if I can avoid it.
Thanks in advance.
Thekidntheturk

Search is your friend. Most have their wing mounted to a rack on the cab. FWC posted a picture one time of someone who had a wing mounted to the cabover. I did have a 5" "V" under my 2002 hawk worked a little but a wing is much better. There will be a lot of pressure on the wing, don't think tape or adhesive will hold it. Kodachrome did a great job on his wing.

Bill

Well engineered I think that the right tape could hold a deflector in place. You'd really want to know the products and what you're doing in applying them. VHB is some pretty amazing stuff, but if either or both of those conditions don't apply to you then it's a risk that it'll fly off in the middle of traffic.

I've recently been pondering a single Yakima or Thule bar clamped to the cab to support a deflector. I think that side skirts are important as well.

Personally, I like the concept of mounting the deflector to the truck to let the chassis absorb the wind energy directly rather than coupling through the camper.

I bought the single Yakima bar and their rack fairing (less expensive than Thule, as I recall.) I bought their fairing as I was rushed to set off on a long trip. Thought I'd use it that trip, then build a larger one to mount to the roof bar and sell the deflector on Craig's list. But turns out the Yakima fairing worked so well, I've never bothered to do anything else.

Bosque Bill said:
Personally, I like the concept of mounting the deflector to the truck to let the chassis absorb the wind energy directly rather than coupling through the camper.

I bought the single Yakima bar and their rack fairing (less expensive than Thule, as I recall.) I bought their fairing as I was rushed to set off on a long trip. Thought I'd use it that trip, then build a larger one to mount to the roof bar and sell the deflector on Craig's list. But turns out the Yakima fairing worked so well, I've never bothered to do anything else.
^^^^This^^^^

I got most of my parts on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom