Cabinet and counter top replacement, dual batteries, whynter 85qt fridge

hooptytank

Advanced Member
While prepping for a 3 week Baja trip, i realized the house batteries were weak, the cabinets needed some patching up and my new whynter fridge has no where to fit. I ended up tearing out and replacing the cabinets and counter top, removed the upper bed portion that extended permanently into the living space, cut the front storage box lid in two, relocated the batteries forward, replaced most of the old wiring/switches/fuse box, and added a charge relay/battery isolator.

This camper is probably over 30 years old now, has had multiple owners and I'm not sure what was factory installed or P.O. installed. We use the couch as the bed and the upper bunk was merely storage when the top was up. The front lower storage box was too small for the fridge to fit in, so the fridge will sit on top of it. This box had a one piece lid on a piano hinge, so I cut the lid to the footprint of the fridge.

Attempted fix of cabinets, and tear down. view with bunk extension removed from above front storage box

ry%3D480

Trying to patch up old cabinets, but their design and use of space was awful. One small drawer, a sliding door beneath it that made it a royal pita to get to anything. One PO turned the old icebox into a cabinet.

ry%3D480

Cut lid and icebox cabinet view
ry%3D480

cabinet face and appliances removed

ry%3D480

counter top removed, the last cabinet was also removed and only the outer wall remained

ry%3D480

measured and cut new face, then measured and cut doors and drawer faces. used skilsaw to cut long runs. I wanted flush fitting doors, looks cleaner to me.

ry%3D480

before fully cutting doors out with jigsaw where skilsaw blade didnt reach, i measured and mounted hinges so i wont be fighting with alignment later on. I used a centering drill bit to mark predrill all holes. home depot hinges.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Everything cut out. After this sanded all edges smooth. The face ready to install.

ry%3D480

building drawer boxes

ry%3D480

made and installed divider walls, installed drawer slides (pain in the you know what) in retrospect I wish I used full extension slides.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Measured and cut out new counter top. bought a home depot premade piece with backsplash and bullnose. The counter depth is only 21" so I decided to cuth off bullmose, but also had to narrow the thickness of the backsplash to maximize counter space. used table saw for this. for the appliance holes I tried uing a hole saw for the sink corners, but what I had was too dull to do the job. just used a jigsaw.

Measure twice or thrice!!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

appliances installed

ry%3D480

Test fitting and installing latches. more home depot hardware, not my first choice but simple install and time crunch was on.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Stained and sealed with one step urethane I had leftover, think color was called old maple. only did one coat, because of time, and didn't want to sleep next to drying varnish.

ry%3D480

installed shelves I kept from an old fridge I threw away. cut them down to fit.

ry%3D480

Cabinets finished

ry%3D480

Installed a marine 8 switch panel with circuit breakers. no more fuses. got it from amazon. Also dual USB/ 12v power socket

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

under the hood this went in. connected with 2/0 AWG welding cable to alternator to house batteries. also ran extra 2/0 ground cable, from alternator to frame and from frame to house batteries. never undersize wires, when in doubt, go big!

ry%3D480

new batteries installed, I slow charged them till full before putting into use.

ry%3D480

used a ratchet strap and footman loops to hold them down.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

made an enclosure and drilled holes to outside for venting.

ry%3D480

sSome wiring

ry%3D480

A circuit breaker for the house supply

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

This is what the wiring looked like when I got it

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

all finished

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Also installed LED strip lights inside and under cabinets

ry%3D480

Nice work! Big improvement. I've been really happy with my blue sea ACR. I "only" used 2 gauge but my dual batteries are behind the rear seat in the truck. No problems keeping the batteries topped off with solar or alternator separately.

Before the ACR, the PO had a wire that plugged into the 7 pin trailer connector and you closed the door on it :oops: . only a 12 GA wire and way too long a run of wire. All that resistance effectively killed the batteries because the alternator had no way to sense the house battery voltage accurately, and they got overcharged and boiled, damn near ready to catch fire. 2 GA, is good up to 150 A and about 15' run. I had nice flexible 2/0 and 4 AWG cable from other projects.

This trip I didn't have a volt gauge hooked up, but with the fridge running, lights and heater blower working for 2-3 days without charging didn't have any issues. My solar panel is ancient, and maybe good for 60W

The blue sea ACR is nice, although I don't like that you cant use it to start engine in an emergency. next setup will have the Samlex ACR-160 which you can use to connect the 2 banks for emergency jump starting. I've installed and used one for jumping purpose and works great. http://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-ACR-160-Automatic-Charge-Isolator-p/acr-160.htm

hooptytank said:
Before the ACR, the PO had a wire that plugged into the 7 pin trailer connector and you closed the door on it :oops: . only a 12 GA wire and way too long a run of wire. All that resistance effectively killed the batteries because the alternator had no way to sense the house battery voltage accurately, and they got overcharged and boiled, damn near ready to catch fire. 2 GA, is good up to 150 A and about 15' run. I had nice flexible 2/0 and 4 AWG cable from other projects.

This trip I didn't have a volt gauge hooked up, but with the fridge running, lights and heater blower working for 2-3 days without charging didn't have any issues. My solar panel is ancient, and maybe good for 60W

The blue sea ACR is nice, although I don't like that you cant use it to start engine in an emergency. next setup will have the Samlex ACR-160 which you can use to connect the 2 banks for emergency jump starting. I've installed and used one for jumping purpose and works great. http://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-ACR-160-Automatic-Charge-Isolator-p/acr-160.htm
I used the blue sea 7622 (500A continuous, 2500A 10 second rating) and can connect both banks via the switch in the cab. I've left it force connected during starts but the main battery wasn't drained, so it wasn't testing the limits. My cables running to the aux bank is normally protected with a 150A blue sea circuit breaker, but can be bypassed via a blue sea battery switch if needed. Although I'm not sure of the voltage drop I'd see under the load of a starter.

Nice rebuild. Will keep some of those ideas for my next one! Nice Baja pics too.

Very nice redo! Great write-up too. Thanks for taking the time to post progress photos. Very interesting to see the process.

This is great! An excellent step by step and a beautiful outcome. Beach reward too! Glad you didn't forget the opener for your stockpile. Having never been to Mexico it is way up on my list...I dream of being in the camper on a white beach like that. Where is it?
Must feel like a new camper. Any more additions be sure to post.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks like you had a lot of work and fun (and success) with your rebuild.
It was fun, thanks.

Alley-Kat said:
Nice job... looking good.
Thanks

longhorn1 said:
Great job. Thanks for the pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app
thanks, you're welcome

craig333 said:
Very nice. So when can we get to work on mine? :)
Bring it down! I have new ideas how to increase door openings and make even more usable space.

Happyjax said:
Nice work! Enjoyed the pics. Thanks :) Enjoy the fruits of your labor :)
Sure did and will continue to do so. although this will be up for sale eventually as I start rebuilding my 85 Keystone. needs new lift panels and will gut the entire inside.

GroovyDad said:
Nice re-do. Your cabinets have a nice "cabin" look to them.

Enjoy May-Hee-Co
yup, somewhat rustic to blend in with the older decor.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Great remake.
Thanks for the pictures

Where are you installing the "fridge"?
The fridge sat on top of the front storage box on the left side behind drivers seat. It comes out after the trip as my in room beer fridge. Didn't really get a pic of it installed, but you can get an idea it in these:

it sat on the carpeted section on left, blocking front window. That was the reason for cutting the lid in 2
ry%3D480

My chick showing off the Baja shrimp and fridge in the background.

ry%3D480

top right corner, fridge is open. Its a top loader style fridge, and i think this style is better than the front loader because it keeps cold air at the bottom and doesn't escape when door is open.

ry%3D480

Back
Top Bottom