Cabover Bed Mod

WjColdWater

This is the first of a few mods on our new Grandby. Additional 2” gel and charcoal memory foam added to the cabover.

White caulk line and a electric fillet for sizing. I cut a piece for the standard bed and a extension piece for the king option. The fillet knife cut the foam like butter with a very smooth finish. A piece of scrap plywood under the cut to protect the blades.

With the additional 2” foam, sheets, fleece and wool blankets plenty of clearance. This really kicked up the comfort level for sleeping.

Thanks for sharing your technique. We found electric carving/fillet knives to be the best way to cut a foam mattress.

Do you have a link for the foam source?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Thanks for sharing your technique. We found electric carving/fillet knives to be the best way to cut a foam mattress.
Do you have a link for the foam source?
mattress firm.com / 2” Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress topper Item# mfiV000228602 large size. Item #mfiV000228600 smaller size.

FWIW, I had installed some 'memory' foam into the lower (front dinette, un-dinetted) bed area and found out that when the temps dipped below 45 deg F or so the foam would harden up like curbstone. Tried to remove it from the camper and could barely get it out the door-wouldn't fold or crunch at all!

I had the same experience with a memory foam topper in my old Wildernest. Great in the summer, but unusably hard once the temperature dropped into the 40s. You would crawl into bed and slowly 'thaw' a depression in the mattress, but then you couldn't move without hitting the rest of the board like mattress.

If you plan on using the camper in cooler weather, you may need summer and winter mattresses.

rando said:
I had the same experience with a memory foam topper in my old Wildernest. Great in the summer, but unusably hard once the temperature dropped into the 40s. You would crawl into bed and slowly 'thaw' a depression in the mattress, but then you couldn't move without hitting the rest of the board like mattress.

If you plan on using the camper in cooler weather, you may need summer and winter mattresses.
Great information. Thanks!

2018 Hawk with the latest foam from FWC. Wasn't that comfy for me, a 250 lb side sleeper, causing some pretty intense hip pain. even my wife, think rocky and bullwinkle( she is rocky in this scenario), found it to be marginal. Put that marine stuff that looks like a furnace filter underneath for air circulation and added a 2 inch memory foam topper, got pretty firm in the winter, and compacted out in warmer weather. Not happy.

Added the middle thickness froli system under the standard pad. Really feels good, even on my side. Have a mattress pad that is supposed to make the mattress feel cool in the heat and warm in the cold and a down comforter from Costco on top. Lid closes with no issues, pretty dang happy.

Back
Top Bottom