Calgary to New York

BillTheHiker

I will be driving my Tacoma with FWC Fleet from Calgary to Adirondaks in Northern New York starting late July. What sort of camping options will I find? I prefer boondocking to campgrounds. It looks like my only route choice from Calgary is Cananda Highway 1, then 17 to Thunder Bay. After that it looks like I will have some route options, so looking for advice there, again with boondocking the priority.

Bill, prob not what you want to hear but I'll tell you straight up, boondocking off Hwy 1 (the TCH) through "the Prairies" (AB, SK, M:cool: is going to be tough. IDK if you've driven that stretch before but it is all under cultivation. Seems a lot of folks blast thu the Prairies because they are "flat and boring", etc (they're not but, whatever :cautious:) but also in part because camping spots seem to be hard to come by close to the TCH.

One thing to be aware of is that many quiet, small towns have civic campgrounds, sometimes attached to a rec centre (picnics, playing fields, pool with showers) Even hamlets sometimes have them, perhaps as part of grounds for regional tournaments or gatherings. So "sometimes" you can find a CG in the middle of "nowhere" and "sometimes" there is no one else around but you have to make the drive and take the chance.

So, for SK note their "regional parks" (search online). For MB be aware that they have some great Provincial Parks with CGs, at least one not far from the TCH. AB, well it's easier near the mtns and harder the further east you go on #1 but they do sell Taber Corn along there ...

If you want to do some exploring, search out the river valleys.

Never driven Canada. My idea is to find a route to the Eastern US other than Interstates 80 and 70 which I have done many times and don't like them east of the Mississipi. West of the river there were good state campgrounds not far from the interstate.

This year I am going to Yellowstone, then Glacier so figured going across Canada might be less congested once I get farther East. But it might not be worth going so far North to pick up Canada Highway 1.

Another option is I-94 or even Hwy 2. There are plenty of state parks along those routes.

Then drive From Duluth to Sault ste Marie, Toronto and down into upper New york state, but have no idea what camping I will find there.

Back
Top Bottom