California coyotes better watch out!

Not too surprised at the route. A lot of open country out that way. Kinda feel sorry for the thing if it really is looking for a mate. In spite of what the lady says she saw at the rest stop I don't think he's gonna find a mate in CA.

...I don't think he's gonna find a mate in CA.

...unless he lowers his standards and dates domestic canines.

Hey, it's to warm here now, that's why he's heading back north:LOL: again. Probably smells it in the Warner Mtns, seems to be heading that way! Go-OR7 and good luck!

Smoke

Not too surprised at the route. A lot of open country out that way. Kinda feel sorry for the thing if it really is looking for a mate. In spite of what the lady says she saw at the rest stop I don't think he's gonna find a mate in CA.

Hey guys, heard something today, the CDF map shows him in the Madeline Plains sooo...supposedly there is a kennel out there somewhere that has some wolf hybrids:LOL:, if that's true was wondering if his nose is guiding him. Be careful wolf :cool:, !!!!!

Smoke

Remind me to tell you the story of our cocaine bust out there. Never thought about wolf hybrids, but you know if you're horny enough---------------

Probably trade you a few stories back! The northern half with all those little trailers/homesteads always scared me when we worked nearby or drove by-never very friendly, some of the ranchers were okay, but who else would live on wind blown sand during the summer and three feet of snow/mud during the spring/winter-cheap land with no power, good for brewing up meth or as the fire crew found out storing southern dope in the barn! BLM and the Sheriffs Dept always tried to work in teams up there-real scary place. I think that's what worries me about our wolf friend, some of those people would shoot him just cause he was there-and they could. Go wolf, go!

Smoke

I've been watching this with interest and wondering if OR7 would make it far enough south to visit with the wolverine photographed north of Truckee.

My cousin is working on a book, a collection of his fly fishing stories. He just asked me to dig through some of my old photographs from July 2001. It brought back memories of wolves. We were backpacking in the northern Wind Rivers in Wyoming. One night we were awakened by the howls of a pack moving through the high valley we were camped in. It was absolutely thrilling.

Last year in Idaho we camped one night in Bear valley and awoke in the middle of the night to a distant long mournful howl. The sound was unmistakeable. It was the way a night should sound.

Go OR7!

We were backpacking in the northern Wind Rivers in Wyoming. One night we were awakened by the howls of a pack moving through the high valley were were camped in. It was absolutely thrilling.

Last year in Idaho we camped one night in Bear valley and awoke in the middle of the night to a distant long mournful howl. The sound was unmistakeable. It was the way a night should sound.

Cool. :)

I've never heard a wolf howl (except on TV shows about wolves).
How do they differ from coyote howls? Lower-pitched or different in other ways?

I guess I could find samples of the two howls on the Internet and hear for myself...

UPDATE:
I found a couple of answers from different sources:
"...Wolves howl in long tones, while coyotes call out in yups and yaps..."
"...The [wolf] howl is a continuous sound from about half a second to 11 seconds in length. Most of the time, the pitch remains constant or varies smoothly...The howls of coyotes are higher pitched than wolf howls and usually include yapping and barking before, during, and after howling."

You got it Mark. Wolf is the classic deep howl. Coyotes howl, bark, yelp, yip, and sing.

I'm ready to hear either one right now, never head a wolf before, head lot's of coyotes though! Wonder how our OR-7 is doing, been in western Lassen county for a while, maybe found a girl friend?-now wonder what would happen then-our own half wolf mixed pack-they probably would not let that happen-bet he would eat Big Horn Sheep/goats if he made it over to High Rock Country-now what an adventure that would be to start a wolf pack over there-maybe send him one of those New Mexican Wolfs-but he seems to like the mountains.

Smoke

I'm ready to hear either one right now, never head a wolf before, head lot's of coyotes though! Wonder how our OR-7 is doing, been in western Lassen county for a while, maybe found a girl friend?-now wonder what would happen then-our own half wolf mixed pack-they probably would not let that happen-bet he would eat Big Horn Sheep/goats if he made it over to High Rock Country-now what an adventure that would be to start a wolf pack over there-maybe send him one of those New Mexican Wolfs-but he seems to like the mountains.

Smoke

That's OK, the New Mexico wolves like mountains, too. I know some sad looking lobos in the Alamogordo zoo that we could liberate ... ;)

That's OK, the New Mexico wolves like mountains, too. I know some sad looking lobos in the Alamogordo zoo that we could liberate ... ;)

Sounds like a camper rally, see you there at 2 AM.

I' like to see him come back home to Oregon. Probably one of the best areas for him settle in would be SW Oregon in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness between the coast and Grants Pass. A lot of roadless rugged country to stay out of trouble in. Unfortunately for him, it's all a very long way from the Wallowas. He might eventually have better luck finding a female in the Ochocos or Strawberry Mtns. Lots of Elk in there and not as much of an arduous journey from his place of origin. Certainly risky business though, as there are many out there that would just as soon shoot, shovel and shut up. I fear that is what will eventually happen. Wolves are an animal that have instilled an amazing amount of fear and hatred in our kind over the ages.

The wife and I spent a week in Yellowstone during the fall about 4 years back and were fortunate to observe numerous wolves in the Lamar Valley area over a several day period. Having a spotting scope helped, as they weren't close. Even got to see pups being pups, a half dozen or so adults napping and several running across meadows, going somewhere in a big hurry. A great place to watch wildlife. Lot's of Bison. Just in that part of the park alone we saw Elk, Mtn Goat, Fox, Wolves, Black Bear and Grizzlies, the latter several times, including a dead one. Rangers speculated another Grizzly probably killed it. By the time we saw it mid morning, there wasn't much left. The Ravens were cleaning up the scraps. Didn't take long with all the big appetites running around.

We didn't here any wolves on that trip but did on the US / Canadian border at the north end of Ross Lake National Scenic Area. It's at the north end of the Cascade National Park in Washington. The only way to put a power boat on the lake is to cross back into the US from Canada on 30 miles of gravel road. No border gate, no customs to cross back into the US. The road only goes about a half mile in and stops at a campground at the north end of the 25 mile lake surrounded by very rugged country. If one was inclined to slip in undetected, they'd need a boat or be up for a challenging stroll up and over some very rugged terrain. Certainly doable for the motivated. We spent the last night in the campground after boat camping on the lake. A small kiosk had some photos of a wolf that was seen in the campground earlier that summer. Early the next morning, we heard the unmistakeable howl of a wolf. Nothing like the Coyotes I've heard. It was almost as good as seeing one, as we weren't expecting it. As we got ready to pull out to head home, a black bear wondered into camp. He wasn't very shy and it took almost a dozen other campers making a racket to get him to scoot back into the woods.

I wonder if potential mates look at his radio tracking collar and decide that is a reason not to mate with him. "He wears a permanent mark of being captured by, then released by, those whom walk with only 2 legs."

How do we know he's looking for a mate?
Maybe he's a "confirmed bachelor". :D It's a lot simpler that way...

How do we know he's looking for a mate?
Maybe he's a "confirmed bachelor".
biggrin.gif
It's a lot simpler that way...

I can't think of anything more motivating than to mate. Said by a confirmed bachelor.
sad.gif

I can't think of anything more motivating than to mate. Said by a confirmed bachelor.
sad.gif

Right on that! But he sure likes it here in NW Lassen County, wonder if he's following the scent of that last known Californian wolf, but if I remember right he was killed over on the eastern side in the 1920's. Anyone know how long a scent would last ? I know wolfs have good smellers-maybe!:LOL: He is working in some pretty rough country-lots of lava flows, timber and small lakes- right now, somewhere off of HW 44, so watch for him Mark on your trip to the Eastern side! Must be getting lonely out there though-go Or-7-go and good luck:D!

Smoke

yeh, now in ne Siskiyou County, missed him here, guess he didn't like Lassen NP-Go Wolfee, Go! Now i can head to the coast!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom