California Speed Limits

KK7OQ

I will be driving to California with my camper and have a question about the speed limit on the freeways. I know that trailers are limited to 55 MPH, but does that rule apply to campers too? I have a vague recollection of signs in the state saying something like "Trucks, Trailers, Campers 55 MPH". True? or is it my "old guy" memory messing with me again?

Thanks, Jim

Trucks 3 axles or more and anything towing is how the current signs read. Even the box delivery vans are now out in the fast lane going 62mph.......

Your memory is good. However California has two sets of speed limits. The one that's posted and the one that everybody drives at. I drive the latter. Pulling a trailer you will soon see that the 55MPH is pretty much ignored. Since you will most likely be spending most of your time in the right lane just go with the flow and you should be OK.

Mike

I always notice I'm the only one driving the speed limit in California and everyone is giving me special recognition with fun hand gestures.

I always notice I'm the only one driving the speed limit in California and everyone is giving me special recognition with fun hand gestures.

Sorry, I didn't know that was you. Just kidding, but that is the unofficial California State Bird. Upsetius Commuterus is the Latin name. :rolleyes:

Mike

Trucks 3 axles or more and anything towing is how the current signs read. Even the box delivery vans are now out in the fast lane going 72mph.......

I fixed that for you. Note they are still slowing down traffic.

I shouldn't be posting, since I don't live in California...
huh.gif

...but the only signs I've seen that mention trucks/trailers AND campers are those about HIGH WIND WARNING!
Maybe that's what you're remembering.

As long as you're hanging out in the right lane I'm not sure why they'd be gesturing to you. If you're not hanging to the right then you deserve it. :p

I fixed that for you. Note they are still slowing down traffic.

I'm not commuting in the right area!

The reason you're possibly being told that you're No. 1 is that there's been an inversion in high traffic density areas. Now the slow lane is the far left lane. The right-most lane is for making up the time that texting your girlfriend and talking to your mother-in-law on the cell about your mistress. You're interfering with their god-given right to haul mule relatives in that lane.

You'll see Simimike in the fast lane going 75mph with his camper top up. In California, anything goes.

<snip>
The reason you're possibly being told that you're No. 1 is that there's been an inversion in high traffic density areas. Now the slow lane is the far left lane. The right-most lane is for making up the time that texting your girlfriend and talking to your mother-in-law on the cell about your mistress. You're interfering with their god-given right to haul mule relatives in that lane.

Ah, someone else knows California! :oops:

You'll see Simimike in the fast lane going 75mph with his camper top up. In California, anything goes.

DD does too! :D

Back
Top Bottom