California to Alaska

Goldfish

Planning to leave at the end of June 2013 for a month trip to Alaska. Hope to camp out in the FWC right through. I have most prep done except for house battery charging...any suggestion? I do have honda 1000i and a 2000i as well.

Welcome to WTW Goldfish and congratulations on having your "stuff" in order enough to be able to do a month straight trip.

My suggestion to house bank charging depends on your travel plan, storage capacity and power demands. If your plan is to be on the move driving daily and just using lights and the water pump and have not done already so then wiring the house to your truck charging system alone should meet your needs provided your battery has enough capacity. There are lots -o- threads on here on the "how to" complete with the pros and cons of wire size, relays, isolators, intella-chargers and so on. The search function on here works fairly well at finding stuff.

If your plan is to be stationary for a while then some auxiliary system is in order. As you already have a honda you're covered. Unless you're using a microwave or running an air conditioner your 1000 watt unit should IMO be plenty. If you're thinking a solar supplement there is a whole section devoted to solar in the general campers section.

I wish you well in your endeavor.....

Thanks for the info LuckyDan.

The FWC came prewired and a battery as well. I did a search but could not find if I could connect the charging wires straight to the truck battery wire/ terminal...the camper already has a isolater wired in next to the house battery and I can see there is pair of wires terminated outside in the front, drivers side. The camper also came with 8gauge (I think) wire and Atwood connector, I am wondering if I connect this to the truck battery post that I should be good to go? I have tow package so I am thinking I have 150 amp alternator.

Just so you know generators are not allowed north of 60...

robbie

Fish, I think Robbie was kidding, but generators are frowned on as they make noise and spoil the natural experience. I spent 2.5 months in Canada and Alaska two summers back and never needed auxiliary power. I never spent more than 2 nights in one place and the truck alternator kept the batteries charged with no problem. In all honesty, I have two batteries in the camper because I have a 1.5KW Inverter and a microwave in the Grandby. I ran a computer and phone battery chargers off the inverter. I used the heater almost every night throughout Canada and once In a while in Alaska. All of my camping in Canada was dry camping (no power available) while about half my Alaska camping was in RV parks which had AC power.

Hook your camper up to your truck charging system and go for it..leave the generators at home.

No not Milepost 60

60 degrees north which is the latitude that defines the British Columbia/yukon Border........

There is a large pile of gen sets at the border...They tend to fall off or fall out of vehicles at that spot..

robbie

Back
Top Bottom