Call of the Wild

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Last summer I revealed that I now have a camping rig that's NOT a pop-up truck camper -- though I still, also, have my FWC Hawk.
And I'm glad that I still have my pickup camper. Here's why:

A week ago, as I was driving back home to Bend from an almost-3-month camping and paddling wander through The South, towing my "They'd Call it a Camper in the East"... I took US 95 to Tonopah and then drove NV 376 up the Big Smoky Valley.
...Snow-capped Toiyabe Range on the west...snow-fringed Toquima Range on the east... It came to me that I still love this wild area -- visited many times over 30 years -- a lot.
As much as I enjoyed camping in the warm/temperate South, paddling my kayak in Southern waters -- among alligators floating in the Okefenokee Swamp and dolphins leaping in the Gulf of Mexico...camped in comfortable (and inexpensive) state parks with 120v and water hookups...I also enjoy being camped in a spot where I'm the only human for a few miles. To be camped in a spot where most people say "Why go there -- what's there?" Especially in winter, when most people say, "Isn't it cold?" To be camped in a wild area.
As I was driving through that area I really felt like pulling off on one of the roads that headed towards the mountains and camping...but I was on a mission, had a schedule to meet (an appointment at Oregon DMV for registration of my new rig -- finally!).

Now...to be honest, if I could get away with towing my ummm....trailer... to remote and special camping spots in the wild Great Basin I probably would. But I've been to, camped in, places that I know I can't tow anything -- places where I've had to put the truck into 4-Low to get there, which would be too hard on my new rig (if at all). So the pickup camper is still relevant and necessary for me.

Anyway...I'm glad I took that route -- it reminded me of an area I need to revisit...to heed the call of the wild.

Howdy

It is muddled reasoning to even consider that one needs less than seven means of camping.

We just bought a Fiat 500 convertible and I am thoroughly interested in finding something we can tow behind it in order to go camping....with our canoe.

DG

PS And I still like my tent.

It's a conundrum for sure... Glad to hear you are not abandoning the FWC and the entire idea of non-luxury camping. Seems like there are a few members on this site that have multiple rig arrangements for whatever suits their fancy. I know a number of friends that think even going the FWC route is big step to the dark side but yes I still have my various tents and bivvy sacks and pads and still see an occasional backpack in my future. That Big Smoky Valley is sure gorgeous and lots of great back-country sites lurking out there.
Pic from Big Smoky last March as we skedaddled for home when our daughter said the CV was everywhere.

Attachments

• BigSmoky_Mar2020_JDavis.jpg
    BigSmoky_Mar2020_JDavis.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 64
DavidGraves said:
Howdy

It is muddled reasoning to even consider that one needs less than seven means of camping.

We just bought a Fiat 500 convertible and I am thoroughly interested in finding something we can tow behind it in order to go camping....with our canoe.

DG

David, check out Aero Teardrops in Tigard. I walked through their factory. Not sure I will buy one, but I thought they were well made.

As you took the first step, I’ll come clean. In addition to the near antique Grandby, I also own a nearer antique pop up tent trailer. I’ve actually owned two. The first was a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree affair I bought at a charity auction. The second on a colleague deal I couldn’t refuse. They each fit a mission specific void.

As for pulling it into the brush, you just need to make friends with a few Buckaroo’s in your travels across the Basin. Where they’ll pull a gooseneck horse trailer, they could give you some pointers on pulling your trailer. You may not like the result but it’s help none the less, (insert your favorite and appropriate emoji here).

Welcome back from the Southland, hope it was all you wanted it to be. I saw your post on the trailer, it’s a nice one for sure.

Different tools for different purposes.
Good on you to remember why we love the WTW backroads, and to travel the country in comfort too.

We've been doing some soul searching after a ten day DV trip and are thinking our Sprinter concept might not be tough enough.
We still love our FWC/Tundra setup, but want more room, range and better brakes. We're all dreaming of the perfect rig, eh?

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

DG

Awhile back we had a teacher who worked with us for a few summers. He had a Kamperoo type affair he pulled behind a Toyota Tercel. It was smaller than a traditional Kamperoo, more sized for pulling with a motorcycle, but flipped open just like the Roo. Maybe they made a cycle sized one? Either way, he pulled it all over and it seemed to work well for him.

LuckyDan said:
As for pulling it into the brush, you just need to make friends with a few Buckaroo’s in your travels across the Basin. Where they’ll pull a gooseneck horse trailer, they could give you some pointers on pulling your trailer. You may not like the result but it’s help none the less, (insert your favorite and appropriate emoji here)....
Dan, Asking locals is one approach to gathering intel on towing conditions of local roads. Makes sense.
Another approach: As I drove through the Big Smoky the thought that came to me was to spend a few days, maybe a week, doing reconnaissance with my truck (trailerless) in areas I like (not just that Valley, but beyond). Whenever my last visits were I didn't consider what it would be like to tow a 19-foot trailer there. But after 10,000 miles experience towing I should be able to look at a road and visualize if I'd feel comfortable towing my trailer there. Especially important are opportunities for turning around or backing up out of dead ends.

One way to cover all bases, equipment-wise, would be to have my camper mounted on the truck while towing the trailer -- especially if I was on a long, extended trip. That way I could drop the trailer for a few days if I wanted to venture into more gnarly terrain and camp there. BUT: I really like have all the storage space in the bed of my truck with a canopy and not the camper. My bicycle is inside the canopy and the kayak is on top.

We'll see...

On a camping trip to BC/Alberta a couple of years ago, I camped next to a motorcycle pop up tent trailer built in Osooyoos, BC being pulled by a Honda Goldwing. Took about 30 seconds to pop up and had a surprising amount of room and storage.

http://www.leesurelite.com

They may have something towable by a tiny car.

Paul

That way I could drop the trailer for a few days if I wanted to venture into more gnarly terrain and camp there. BUT: I really like have all the storage space in the bed of my truck with a canopy and not the camper. My bicycle is inside the canopy and the kayak is on top.

What? You have a canopy on your truck while towing? Drop the trailer and load up the bed of your truck for a few days of “roughing it”. I still do that...my stepson calls it “bougee” backpacking.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
What? You have a canopy on your truck while towing? Drop the trailer and load up the bed of your truck for a few days of “roughing it”. I still do that...my stepson calls it “bougee” backpacking.
MDR- Yep, I've considered, am considering, that very same approach. Before I got my camper I spent years camping out of my canopy-covered pickup...so I know how.

I don’t know about you but every time I have to bend over to get in and out of the canopy (and I have a extra height Leer) I swear I’m going to buy an ATC. And...I just plain swear! But it works for the amount of times I’ve used it lately.

Back
Top Bottom