Cam straps to keep turnbuckles from loosening?

shear

A friend just got a new Hawk and the dealer showed him this cam strap trick of threading it through both turnbuckles so they don’t loosen up. Any thoughts on it?

Im not sold on it yet.

shear said:
A friend just got a new Hawk and the dealer showed him this cam strap trick of threading it through both turnbuckles so they don’t loosen up. Any thoughts on it?

Im not sold on it yet.
Do you have a picture or illustration for this trick??

As my camper is mounted full time, I just wrapped some seizing wire around the turnbuckle and the eyebolt. Same stuff I use to secure the pins of anchor shackles. So far so good, and I always check them before each trip of after long runs on washboard or technical sections.

The cam strap sounds interesting. Without a jam nut (as delivered from factory), we'd get loose turnbuckles frequently. After the jam nut, it's infrequent but happens. Running a strap through the two turnbuckles per side might work just as well.

I replaced the stock turnbuckles with steel turnbuckles with
locknuts from McMaster. Worth the cost for peace of mind. I also added a “fail-safe” on the front using. 24” nylon climbing slings rated for 5000 ft-lbs connected using a carabiner through one eye and the strap looped through the other. Overkill….yes.

I don't use the standard setup but do have a couple of turnbuckles on the back. Drill a small hole in one of the threaded portions of the turnbuckle and insert a clevis pin clip (kind of like a cotter pin and commonly used on trailer hitches) to keep the body of the turnbuckle from unscrewing.

Back
Top Bottom