Camp Like a Pro in the Eastern Sierra

Damn Ski....this website really hits the marks...only hope the dimwits will even see it or not choose to ignore these guidelines if they do read it...

Good job....hope it is not just pissing into the wind...

Phil

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
the public just needs to observe the rules.
That is the issue in a nutshell- I've noticed a sharp decline in the willingness to "follow the rules". Started gradually some years back but has accelerated rapidly.
I've also noticed many of the "hosts" at campgrounds are no longer willing to correct the offenders with people willing to get violent over any small thing. Can't blame them- especially when if things go sideways law enforcement can be hours away....

SkyP said:
That is the issue in a nutshell- I've noticed a sharp decline in the willingness to "follow the rules". Started gradually some years back but has accelerated rapidly.
I've also noticed many of the "hosts" at campgrounds are no longer willing to correct the offenders with people willing to get violent over any small thing. Can't blame them- especially when if things go sideways law enforcement can be hours away....
Very well said SkyP. It might not be the right way but with the short tempers
of other people out there ,better safe then sorry.
Frank

I can’t say as I blame them. Dismayed by some of the things I’ve seen this past year. Sad to see some of my favorite haunts included on the map, but it had to be done. Just another one of my favorite places that’s been loved to death, who'd a thunk an area that large could get trashed so relatively quick? Thank Instagram and the like. This will be next to impossible to enforce, hopefully the majority of people will read and heed.

The whole violent temper thing seems relatively new. I'm old enough to remember when people said yes sir to unarmed rangers. I've heard on the scanner too many times when even armed rangers call for backup. Sad :(

Helpful map, thanks for posting Ski.

For years I have camped on LADWP land above the Owens Gorge. DWP has never officially allowed dispersed camping on it's land but it's never been enforced, in fact I've spoken with DWP employees while camping on DWP land.

Given the current mess, I wonder if DWP will begin enforcing the dispersed camping ban? I assume that BLM and Forest Service Rangers don't have jurisdiction on LADWP land, so who would enforce it?

Good info / guidance on the website. On the surface it discourages boondocking, which is good for those of us that are experienced and enjoy and respect it.

Back
Top Bottom