Camper cable to battery ?

dennis 221

So is it a large black one? I ask because truck was in shop an machinic said a had a battery drain an diagnose it to be that big black cable. My limited knowledge say camper batteries should not be draining truck battery. So if that cable is connection to camper how do I stop the drain?

There should at least be a battery separator or isolator relay in the wire that goes from the truck battery positive to the camper battery positive (in addition to fuses)8. Since it sounds like you are new to these systems, I’d suggest doing a search on camper battery systems and do some reading and looking at schematics.

While trying to determine why I was not getting a full charge on my LiFePO4 camper batteries and why I was seeing about a 2 amp drain on the camper batteries at night, I disconnected the truck to camper to wire and the drain stopped. Forgot about it for several weeks and discovered that the camper batteries were getting full charged. All the electronics in the truck were being supplied by the camper with the engine off. The truck battery seemed to recover just fine with the alternator during normal operation. It's been a couple of years now and I never got around to hooking them together again. If I do it will be a DC-DC charger.

Paul

Thats my thinking just disconnect the camper to truck connection. Solar should be enough to charge camper batteries .160 on top an a 120 portable hooked up in back.

Back
Top Bottom