camper door becoming misaligned

Karlton

Hi all - about 2 months back I noticed that the door to my 2017 Hawk wouldn't swing freely as normal. It would encounter some minor resistance and stay open. I attributed it to some dirt in the hinges and vowed to clean it out during a spring cleaning.

Today after putting something in the back and driving home, I opened the door and there was a loud creaking. The hinge sounded like it was getting caught during opening and closing and making a popping sound. I checked the door alignment and noticed that the door was misaligned with the frame. You can see the issue in the photos below. Not bad, but misaligned at the top.

I'm a bit concerned with this issue and am hoping y'all could help. What are the potential causes? Should I grease the hinge, maybe some silicone spray? I was thinking about the potential for dirt and don't want to use a product that makes it worse.

TmOp8d9l.jpg

0151VzZl.jpg

I had this same problem on my 2012 Eagle and it was a hinge deterioration problem. Leaving the hinges on the camper, remove the door from the hinges and check each individual hinge for smooth movement. In my case, the middle hinge was very much stiff and not moving freely. I ended up oiling extensively, and even drilled through the topmost pin holder on the middle hinge to get as much oil as possible into the pin. The pin is not removable, and in my case the camper side of the hinges were attached with rivets.

This may be what is happening to your door also, and the hinge may even be deformed but can be bent back.

Thanks, Champer. I'm also going to check that it is level as I read that could affect door alignment. I've had the Hawk on the truck since July and this issue just started.

Back
Top Bottom