camper jacks

football

Does anyone use their camper without the camper jacks. It seems to be that they can cause drag on the vehicle-less mileage. I can level my camper using blocks instead of the jacks. Just curious-Don

Yes, a lot of people (on WTW) keep the jacks off except when they want to remove the camper from the truck.

If I removed my camper from the truck after every weekend trip I might want the jacks always on, to save installation/removal time, but not otherwise.

Yep, blocks, Lynx Levelers, etc, -- something under the truck tires -- is how I level the camper when camped.

Yup, since my camper stays on the truck, the jacks stay in the garage and only get attached when needed. I mounted a couple of bubble levels in the cab and, along with some blocks, can get it level pretty quick. I also have a bubble level in my smartphone. If I had a flat level location in the cab of the truck, I would use the smartphone but the bubble levels mounted in the cab work great.

I guess, if you were in some strong winds, being able to drop two jacks might help you sleep better. The wind has woke me on a few occasions.

Steve

Jack's in garage, level using lynx blocks. Come to think of it, I haven't used the Jack's on the camper much if at all, they just gather dust most of the time. I do put them on when I need to unload the hawk.

Camper jacks aren't really used to level the rig, that up to the blocks and boards, you could use them to add some stability though. I took my jacks off and carried them for about 6 months before deciding to leave them at home, saves carrying a lot of weight.

Ours were taken off before we left the factory and have only been back on once to unload the camper. We leave them in the garage.

I wish I had pics but I actually caught a jack on something back when I had my old Chevy with the huge wooden frame camper. It did major major damage. You won't ever catch me using the jacks for anything other than loading and unloading.

My camper is on the truck full time. Don't even have jacks or brackets for them. Although I do sometimes think I should at least have gotten the brackets,but didn't so oh well.

I can level in camp with out any problem using wood blocks.

I had an experience with jacks on a camper I had 30 years ago. We stopped to get some lunch and while we were eating someone pulled into the parking spot next to ours and clipped the left rear jack and tore the jack off the camper. Not a nice way to start a trip.

All turned out OK I was able to at least repair it for the rest of the trip.
Frank

I never have mine with me either.

img_102953_0_abb8e541cf2d7d19dd3eeb5a2f9bc406.jpg

Same here, no jacks. I should move the jacks to the storage unit.

I put the bubble level inside the fridge access door figuring that what we're really leveling is the fridge, so having the bubble sitting on the same surface as the fridge made the most sense to me.

Very good point ntsqd. I forgot to mention that whenever I park, I always assure the fridge stays level. The more level, the colder my beer stays!

Back
Top Bottom