Camper mods for 2012?

Freelheeler

Advanced Member
It's been a few months since i posted but i've got the camper up on blocks and plan on making a few mods as well as taking a few winter ski trips in the next month or so.

The biggest mod is a revised camper jack quick release system that i'm fabricating with a buddy. It should be sweet and reduce the fear factor in removing the camper. i'll be posting pics in the near future.

secondly, i'm planning to remove the fridge and build in storage.

third, re treat the roof

That should get me through the next few weekends and i'm sure the list will grow. We're planning a trip to southern Utah in the spring and I want the thing dialed.

I'd be interested in seeing your quick release mod!

I know in the past on here, people have recommended hand nuts, like this
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001072/9384/Knob-Five-Star-With-Through-Hole-3816-Insert.aspx

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to at some point.

Yep... projects are good and since we're not having much of a winter i need something to do. Temps in YNP have been mild, haven't seen but a few bison cruising thru town.

As for the quick release it's like nothing i've seen before, it's a bit difficult to explain but imagine being able to slide the jack and bracket into place and securing it with one or two quick clips! My camper is a 1992 and the stock bracket system was pulling out and had a lot of flex, i really haven't looked at the newer brackets so i may be reinventing the wheel? Also making the front mounts wide enough and low enough so the camper can be lowered onto my 8' wide trailer without a major blocking exercise. I'm starting to have vision a TV commercial with my wife showing off how easy it is to take off the camper!

The other added bonus is i'll have very secure corners in which to fabricate a mounting system for outside gear (shovel, grill, gas, highjack, etc).

More to come!!

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.We seem to have the same Tundra.Thats the second one like ours I've seem on the site this week.
How cold has it been there?

Frank

Nice looking rig, i was able to find some pics on one of your posts! do you have plans to beef up the suspension? airbags make a world of difference, but i blew one out (my fault), and decided i needed add a leaf as well so i wasn't so dependent on the air bag. I've done a few other mods and may consider a sway bar for 2012? Up until this winter i had the camper on full time so i was very aware of the ride. now that i can pull the camper off and use the truck as a truck we'll see?

what are you getting for MPG?

Nice looking rig, i was able to find some pics on one of your posts! do you have plans to beef up the suspension? airbags make a world of difference, but i blew one out (my fault), and decided i needed add a leaf as well so i wasn't so dependent on the air bag. I've done a few other mods and may consider a sway bar for 2012? Up until this winter i had the camper on full time so i was very aware of the ride. now that i can pull the camper off and use the truck as a truck we'll see?

what are you getting for MPG?

Thanks.I have air bags, at this time it seems enough.Before this Tundra you may have noticed some photos of our Bobcat on a Ford Ranger,some color.On that I had super springs they worked great,but I think I won't need them on the Tundra.I don't take the camper off so I don't have to worry about a rough ride with no camper on.As for MPG haven't really taken a lone enough trip yet.I was getting about 16 average with the ford but not pleased with the ride on long interstate trips.So if I lose some MPG but gain other comforts and space it is worth it I am not a 70/80 mph driver.Now if I had to use this rig as a daily driver that's another story.Hope to get back to the stone later this year.Missed being there last year but we made a 5 week trip to Denali late Aug to Sept so that didn't leave and room for another trip.

Frank

Got a few spring trips planned sand dunes 1st of April and southern Utah in May! so i spent presidents day working on the camper! it was a balmy 20 degrees in the barn but i had a good time non the less. At the end of last year i needed to make a few mods so i did... I'm pretty bad about taking pics but should at some point

revamped the 'void' between the front of the cabinet and camper, there was about a 9" space with no real use so i built in some storage and easy access for my battery. This was a much bigger pain than i'd like to admit but it looks pretty good.

pulled the 3 way fridge and started building shelving for crates and sleeping bag storage. it surprising how inefficient the cabinets and fridge area are in the camper? I may cut out the main slide cabinet so i can install a crate. I'm really liking the idea of seeing my stuff and being able to pull it out for easier access...

and the big one we pulled the trigger on an edge star 63 freezer for $345! plan to install it in the front of the camper and incorporate it into the dog sleeping/seating area.

Does anyone have any experience painting over the wood stick'm paper? i plan to paint my additional cabinets and got to think'n about painting the entire interior to lighten it up?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom